No more borrowed airplane jacks

9 minutes ago, Chris newton said:

I couldn’t see paying big$ so fabricated  these up since the annual is due soon. Fairly inexpensive to do and long over do. 

7A737469-0676-442F-8BE2-61C72290F2B2.jpeg

Be sure to add some form of locking/safety device to the extended ram.

Clarence

The FedEx plane is easier to look at than a Mooney doing the same trick...

Falling off jacks happens a lot... in general...

the Mooney world is pretty big.  There are plenty of those oops opportunities...

Always use caution... especially while you or others are under the plane...

There are proper jack points to help keep the plane from slipping off the jack...

Collars and other methods to keep the jack from lowering on its own...

Weights and tail tie-downs to keep the tail from coming up...

Think about it... if anything starts to move... slipping off the jack becomes a big possibility....

PP thoughts only, not the safety engineer...

Best regards,

-a-

6 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

When homemade jacks are made well, they are as good as any professionally manufactured jack...especially when you use the locking rings

Made well is the key.  I’ve seen some pretty scary ones post here in the past.

Clarence

One of the best jacking systems I ever saw was a hangar at LAX. You put the airplane on stands, but you did not raise it.  The floor then was lowered around the jacks. That way you did not have the airplane teetering high in the air on the jacks. Very pricey, very secure.

I countersunk the top of the rams so they fit perfectly into the cone style jack mounts. The collars are a good safety idea and won’t scar the shaft. When fully retracted they only have to be raised about 1 inch to come into contact with the jack points. Then another 1.5 for the gear retract test

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chris newton said:

I countersunk the top of the rams so they fit perfectly into the cone style jack mounts. The collars are a good safety idea and won’t scar the shaft. When fully retracted they only have to be raised about 1 inch to come into contact with the jack points. Then another 1.5 for the gear retract test

You’re right that only a few inches are required for a gear retraction, but if you want to remove belly panels, clean the belly or work in the wheel well, extra height is always nice.  

Some form of ram lock is vital.  I always remember an elementary school classmate who’s father died in the family driveway when a jack failed with him under the car.  I don’t want that to happen to anyone.

Clarence

40 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

You’re right that only a few inches are required for a gear retraction, but if you want to remove belly panels, clean the belly or work in the wheel well, extra height is always nice.  

Huh! I always pull the belly off on a creeper before annual, sitting on the gear.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2020 at 9:52 AM, GeeBee said:

One of the best jacking systems I ever saw was a hangar at LAX. You put the airplane on stands, but you did not raise it.  The floor then was lowered around the jacks. That way you did not have the airplane teetering high in the air on the jacks. Very pricey, very secure.

We have that system at my job and they are impressive, having a plane just hanging there a few feet above your head with the gears stowed gets your heart pumping. 

I second clearance, seen to many things go wrong with an airplane on jacks and the more security you can have the better.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hank said:

Huh! I always pull the belly off on a creeper before annual, sitting on the gear.

When we (you, me, etc) do one plane per year, we can afford to take our time; in a shop like Clarence's, he's in the big leagues. I used to creep under the car to tinker with things, nowadays I go to a friendly neighborhood shop and use one of their lifts on a day off. The creeper moved to the hangar.

I suspect a tangent is him wanting his people to have more comfort, I know I would.

1 hour ago, tmo said:

When we (you, me, etc) do one plane per year, we can afford to take our time; in a shop like Clarence's, he's in the big leagues. I used to creep under the car to tinker with things, nowadays I go to a friendly neighborhood shop and use one of their lifts on a day off. The creeper moved to the hangar.

I suspect a tangent is him wanting his people to have more comfort, I know I would.

True dat!