Suction cup mounts at altitude...

Shadrach

Quote: Shadrach

Dick,

I thought you'd already hijacked the thread!Wink  No matter, it keeps the discussion lively! I beat the horse because it occured to me that while both us had had made correct statements, niether of us had actually properly articulated the physics of how a suction cup works, and why ambient pressure holds the cup in place.

RE: SAM site 

I beleive that you're referring to the old Hearthstone Mountain Autovon Station (AT&T). It's about 5.5nm to the West (280ish?) of the HGR VOR. AFAIK, it's a comm facility that was built by the government during the cold war. It's apparently been operated by AT&T for some time now. Plenty of local conspiracy theories about it. I've flown over it as well and judging from the parking lot, it's staffed by civilians.  

BTW, What were you flying and exactly would you have done had your RHAW lit up?

Quote: xftrplt

...and one would be wrong.  It's air pressure that presses the suction cup to the surface.   At 11,500', you've got less than 70% of SL pressure.  A larger cup may help by giving more surface area to counter the lower force per square inch.