Century 2000 autopilot

dooleyp

My Century 2000 autopilot is unreliable.  The unit appears to be viable, but not working correctly.  Does anyone have a shop they can recommend that is not grossly overpriced, but still seems to know what they are doing?....know of authorized repair facilities for this unit?  I'm in the northeast.... New York, Mass, NJ or PA preferred.

Hey Jim,

Anything you find, I am interested as well....samn darn thing...except mine never really worked for me....made for a bit more monitoring of headings from Seattle to Los Angeles a couple weeks ago...I have the 430w, ond they would be a great pair if I could get it fixed...My Roll works so so...seems to roll to the right better than the left (or sooner I should say), but not tracking heading ...thanks for any info!

The problem is either related to just cleaning the connectors contacts or tightening/replacing the servos clutch.

First clean all the connectors contacts with contact cleaner. Remove the A/P computer from its tray and spray contact cleaner on the contacts. Reinstall computer

Check the the servo clutches:

1. On the ground engage the autopilot on HDG mode.

2. Try to override the autopilot with the yoke on pitch and roll axis.

3. If minimum force is required to override the respective servo of that axis needs to be adjusted 

Fly the plane:

1. Set the AP to HDG only

2. If the plane changes pitch or roll by itself but the gyro indication appears to be correct then the attitude gyro gimbal contacts need to be cleaned.

3. To clean the ATT gyro gimbal contacts remove the little flat cover on the back of the unit. Spray contact cleaner into the shaft and hair contacts. Replace cover.

4. If the attitude is good but the heading is erratic then the HDG gimbal contacts needs to be cleaned. This requires removing the whole gyro from its case. Spray contact cleaner on the gimbal contacts.

These are delicate instruments and should only be disassembled in a dust free environment.

My experience with the Century autopilot has been very good. The above procedure is usually required every 1500 to 2000 hrs of operation.

José

• Like 1

Thanks Jose,

I also found that the darn thing worked once in a while....so the contact cleaning sounds very realistic.  I've been told that Conrad at the Radio Shop in Worchester, MA is pretty good at these machines.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where to locate the actual servo motor on the Mooney...I cleaned the contacts on the controller and now it seems to be working better on the "brain" side of things...(looking for headings), but it is over correcting and it just seems to get worse the longer you leave it on..I was told the servo likely needs to be rebuilt and I would like to just take a quick look at it before bringing it in.
From what I was told the motor rebuild alone is in the 2K range without any labor...

I know...it's a plane :(

Thanks

Quote: Mooney13

Does anyone know where to locate the actual servo motor on the Mooney...I cleaned the contacts on the controller and now it seems to be working better on the "brain" side of things...(looking for headings), but it is over correcting and it just seems to get worse the longer you leave it on..I was told the servo likely needs to be rebuilt and I would like to just take a quick look at it before bringing it in.

From what I was told the motor rebuild alone is in the 2K range without any labor...

I know...it's a plane :(

Thanks

• 8 years later...

My problem is a little bit more bizarre.  Upon coupling an approach (ILS or LPV), it does everything you would expect: at the FAF, the airplane begins a descent on the GS, and stays perfectly on course for the first 300 feet down the ILS, then it loses the glideslope, staying above it!    The trim wheel moves...in the wrong direction: nose UP instead of nose DOWN!  First one, dot then two above, then I decouple.  Same thing with LPV.  I do not have a second ILS or GPS receiver, so I cannot try that.

Attitude climb/descent and Altitude hold all work. NAV tracking with GPSS works.  HDG works. 

I have flown with this AP for many years, with multiple practice coupled approaches, and it flies like it's on rails.  Until now.  Aspen PFD, EA100,  Avidyne IFD440. 

I sent it to Century: no problem found, and $$$.  Suggestions for next steps appreciated.

1 hour ago, PeytonM said:

My problem is a little bit more bizarre.  Upon coupling an approach (ILS or LPV), it does everything you would expect: at the FAF, the airplane begins a descent on the GS, and stays perfectly on course for the first 300 feet down the ILS, then it loses the glideslope, staying above it!    The trim wheel moves...in the wrong direction: nose UP instead of nose DOWN!  First one, dot then two above, then I decouple.  Same thing with LPV.  I do not have a second ILS or GPS receiver, so I cannot try that.

Attitude climb/descent and Altitude hold all work. NAV tracking with GPSS works.  HDG works. 

I have flown with this AP for many years, with multiple practice coupled approaches, and it flies like it's on rails.  Until now.  Aspen PFD, EA100,  Avidyne IFD440. 

I sent it to Century: no problem found, and $$$.  Suggestions for next steps appreciated.

I know it sounds like an expensive trip, but if you fly it to Century in KMWL (Mineral Wells TX) so that they can see what it's doing in the airplane I'm sure they can fix it.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I know it sounds like an expensive trip, but if you fly it to Century in KMWL (Mineral Wells TX) so that they can see what it's doing in the airplane I'm sure they can fix it.

5 hours ago, PeytonM said:

Yikes!

Nothing to do with my autopilot, but I'd fly my J from Australia to Texas if I could!  Years ago when I went to Homecoming, I visited Fredericksburg including the Airport Diner.  Loved it. :):) You live in a beautiful part of the world Lance.

I see Century and S-TEC are both located in Mineral Wells.  Must be the GA autopilot capital of the USA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mooney in Oz said:

Nothing to do with my autopilot, but I'd fly my J from Australia to Texas if I could!  Years ago when I went to Homecoming, I visited Fredericksburg including the Airport Diner.  Loved it. :):) You live in a beautiful part of the world Lance.

I see Century and S-TEC are both located in Mineral Wells.  Must be the GA autopilot capital of the USA.

I had a STEC in a Piper Mirage that just wouldn't do what it was supposed to do. I went to KMWL and spent a day there and they got it right. I've heard of similar success at Century in Mineral Wells.

1 hour ago, Mooney in Oz said:

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I just bought my 231 and I'm also on a 430W and the Century 2000.  I was surprised how well it performs.  I did all my IF training on G1000 GFC700 so I'm spoiled.  And I'm also used to the KAP 140 on the rental 182 I flew to basically NEVER work.  So thus far very happy with the 2000.

But yes, for most things Mooney and GA I'd just fly to Texas.  Everything is there.  It is in fact exactly what I plan to do annually - even though I live in the NE. (Needless to say, I bought via All American in Kestrel, and did pre-buy with JD at SWTA).  Thoroughly enjoyed my stay down there. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah - the Century 2000 is fantastic when it works!  When it doesn't it is a pain....

We had some bizarre issues with the pitch axis which were solved by replacing and then fine-tuning the brushes inside the AI, which send the pitch signal to the autopilot computer.  Many AI overhaul shops don't adjust these very effectively.

• 1 year later...

Hey All, can I bump this up?  The beloved C2000 in my E model seems to work perfect *except* the down attitude button on the computer head doesn't work.  Up button increases up attitude.  I tried to couple an ILS the other night and it centered on the inbound and flagged a glideslope intercept but wouldn't follow it down.  Altitude hold seems to work find and holding the yoke button down and adjusting attitude works fine as well.

I'm thinking its inside the computer somewhere.  Thoughts, suggestions?

Edited by 65eTurbo

On 4/23/2018 at 6:05 AM, PeytonM said:

Check out the Aspen side of things, ACU and EA100.  If they check out then you can refocus on autopilot.

12 hours ago, 65eTurbo said:

Hey All, can I bump this up?  The beloved C2000 in my E model seems to work perfect *except* the down attitude button on the computer head doesn't work.  Up button increases up attitude.  I tried to couple an ILS the other night and it centered on the inbound and flagged a glideslope intercept but wouldn't follow it down.  Altitude hold seems to work find and holding the yoke button down and adjusting attitude works fine as well.

I'm thinking its inside the computer somewhere.  Thoughts, suggestions?

I have a few questions first, but I think I can help you.

Those systems were a bit of a challenge when they were young, the same issues exist, as well as a few new and improved ones.

I was factory trained on the 2000 in 1989 and have battled them down to the component level ever since, there is much to that system besides the computer.

When they are working properly, they are a wonderful system, when the aren't, they can be a handful.

In a ten minute call, I can tell you for sure if I can help you.

Bob Weber

webairconsulting.com

616 822 1999