M20J Vz Climb Out with Target EGT - Cloudahoy Playback and Savvy Mx Data

testwest

Hi everyone

Here is a play back of an M20J Vz climb profile, starting at the POH initial climb speed with TO flaps of ~72 KIAS. I was a little fast and labeled the segment as 75 KIAS in the video, but the POH number is 72 KIAS. I also said 75 KIAS is the POH speed, it's actually 72. Turn up the sound for narration. [edit: I may re-do the voice over and cut out a couple of flubs with the visual overview display]

Then the transition to the Vz profile [113 KCAS (115KIAS) -> 500 fpm -> Vy] is flown and shown in the video. I made another mistake in the voice over, Vz for this airplane is initially 115 KIAS or 113 KCAS. After that is graphs from the Savvy Maintenance analysis tool showing the Target EGT mixture management method during this same climb.

The graph below shows the data after the first Target EGT mixture pull, from a little over 17 gph (the blue line) to 16 gph or so, EGTs pop back up nicely to near takeoff values, note the altitude and CHTs at the same time in the lower plot.

1508760370_ScreenShot2020-11-29at2_37_58PM.thumb.png.db9c04d27ef62fd22a621f8371ec6ad8.png

A little later in the Vz climb, this is the third mixture pull, note the EGTs climb back to near the takeoff full rich values, CHTs stay nearly

constant and we are at ~7600 feet now. About 115 KIAS or so most of the way up, cowl flaps in trail, CHTs tracking nicely.

1264919652_ScreenShot2020-11-29at2_38_50PM.thumb.png.fb274561defba02a6c277f33d767f57c.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great Vz climb details Norman!

excellent use of tools like Savvy, and CloudAhoy...

Fantastic presentation skills too...

Plus Target EGT method for T/O... aka blue box EGT, white box EGT if you have a G1000...

Since Vz is all about efficiency... we get a good look at FF in the Savvy graph...

Holding the target Vz 115kias with the FF down as low as possible... 

Ooops... got ahead of the program...  was looking forward to the fuel flow in cruise flight, at altitude... using Vz, by Norman.... these are going to be Mooney epic efficiency numbers.... 

Something to consider for the next step... :)

Do you have GPS ground speed included in your JPI data collection?

I see the CloudAhoy data is indicating some wind speed and direction details...?

Gents,

Turn up the volume, press play... wait for Norman to deliver...  :)

Don’t get distracted by the CloudAhoy play button... push that all you want, it only works when Norman pushes it...

This is a great lesson for pilots new to their Mooneys... and great refresher for those who will be visiting higher, DA airports, than SL...

Best regards,

-a-