Mooney’s Fuel Sumps Are A Bitch!!!

V1VRV2

Getting on the ground to sump the tanks on a summer day sucks with a bad back. On a winter day when the ground is covered in ice and it’s snowing or raining it’s an absolute MFer! No graceful way to do it. Nice clothes? Not an option! I’m new to Mooney. Maybe I’m missing something?

You have my sympathies. Kneepads and a pair of gloves can be helpful and I used those at first but have found that squatting with my feet flat on the ground gets me enough access and reach without having to touch the ground with anything else. Just watch out for any TKS fluid that might still be seeping. Don't want to find out what that stuff does to my favourite flying jacket.

4 hours ago, V1VRV2 said:

Getting on the ground to sump the tanks on a summer day sucks with a bad back. On a winter day when the ground is covered in ice and it’s snowing or raining it’s an absolute MFer! No graceful way to do it. Nice clothes? Not an option! I’m new to Mooney. Maybe I’m missing something?

The factory tow bar has or had a red plastic cup riveted to the handle, into the cup you inserted you fuel sample cup.  Now you just bend over or squat down and use the tow bar to extend your reach.

Clarence

33ECD503-A465-4368-83FC-C2DEF1B04044.jpeg

675BB5A6-D380-42C1-8D5D-E7DB41F399B9.jpeg

Edited by M20Doc

4 hours ago, V1VRV2 said:

I feel your pain V1, I’ve had over 10 spine surgeries including one a month ago, I decided yesterday if I could sump the tanks I’ll fly an hour to help the plane, I did it.

Heres what I do to get the job done, I carry a beach towel and fold it a few times and kneel on it to get a cushion and keep my clothes clean then get on my knees to limit pressure on my back kinda get under the wing and lift my arm up and sump, repeat on other side.

4 hours ago, M20Doc said:

The factory tow bar has or had a red plastic cup riveted to the handle, into the cup you inserted you fuel sample cup.  Now you just bend over or squat down and use the tow bar to extend your reach.

Clarence

33ECD503-A465-4368-83FC-C2DEF1B04044.jpeg

675BB5A6-D380-42C1-8D5D-E7DB41F399B9.jpeg

Some of us have trouble hitting the hole with our long poles :) and the leverage to get full penetration isnt for the young or weak.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Outdoors... real pain in the butt... for a guy with good flexibility...

Indoors... I’m sitting on the floor... :) (lots of up and down)

Its multiple steps...

• get sample
  • review for color and sediment
  • check the valve is closed, may require wiping the drip left behind...
  • get rid of sample
  • repeat on the other side...

Levis blue jeans... more stains = more character... :)

The act of getting a sample...

• Arms length away under the wing...
  • pressing against a spring that is pretty strong...
  • getting eyes where they can see what is going on...
  • Holding onto the wing for balance...
  • lots of back strain possibilities...
  • Add in slushy snow and icy water for sport...

I’ll have to try staying on my feet to do this...

It is similar to how to enter the cabin... lots of steps, not easy to remember exactly how it is done.... it just happens... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Getting old sucks.  I am, sadly, starting to pick up what is being laid down.  FIDO everyone.  No one gives a crap about others aches and pains.  I have learned to be stoic with my family...

Sumping, Climbing in and out, towing in and out, changing fuel selector (on vintage), reaching over seats to grab something...

Joints remind us that the reaper lurks ahead and the road is not as long as it was 10-20 years ago...

Alternative to pain and discomfort is not good.  No Mooney and...

Gulp...

• Like 2

On 11/29/2020 at 12:05 PM, Missile=Awesome said:

Getting old sucks.  I am, sadly, starting to pick up what is being laid down.  FIDO everyone.  No one gives a crap about others aches and pains.  I have learned to be stoic with my family...

Sumping, Climbing in and out, towing in and out, changing fuel selector (on vintage), reaching over seats to grab something...

Joints remind us that the reaper lurks ahead and the road is not as long as it was 10-20 years ago...

Alternative to pain and discomfort is not good.  No Mooney and...

Gulp...

Couldn't have been said better   Exactly on point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

At least there you get on your back and stay on your back. But if you get down there and realize you forgot a tool it’s a bummer. 

-Robert 

I think it's all the rolling around and packaging things up and whatnot.   My arms are still sore at the end of the day.

The gascolator sump in my aircraft is a problem. The wing tank sumps work well with the typical sump cup with a small metal rod that you stick into the sump. You can do that with the gascolator sump also, but unfortunately it is not stable in that use and is prone to jamming in an open position, in which case fuel will pour out until you can clear the jam. It is meant to be pulled up with the ring inside the cockpit and when used in that manner it is stable and does not jam, but that requires putting some kind of catch basin under the sump while you climb in the aircraft. I have just quit using it.