Do you have wheel covers on your Mooney?

corn_flake

On 11/28/2020 at 4:11 PM, toto said:

The only one I've seen that allows you to check tire pressure with the covers on is the Hubba Hubba hub caps from Lopresti. 

I ordered the Hubba Hubba caps but returned them because their convex design rubs against a rib in the gear housing when retracting (at least on long bodies). For that kind of money they better be perfect. 

5 minutes ago, carusoam said:
10 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Airstops don’t work for me on the high pressure (49) nose tire.

Why is that?

Wondering as I will heading to the airport with my air pressure gauge in hand... (this week)

Best regards,

-a-

I’ve noticed the same thing.  My mains inflated to 30 psi will lose less than a pound in 6 months whereas my nose wheel inflated to 49 psi will lose about 4 psi in the same timeframe. 

Skip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2020 at 3:07 PM, corn_flake said:

Do yo have wheel covers on your Mooney?  

https://lasar.com/tires-wheels-brakes/stainless-steel-main-wheel-covers-ss-wheel-cover

I was about to order few items from Lasar and thought it may be a good idea to protect those wheel bearing with a dust covers.  However, look like it may not be possible to check tire pressure with the cover installed.  

5D1402B3-2AAC-40A5-A65D-F26B4C5196C8.thumb.jpeg.4af999606c6833174e1a144bdd311d07.jpeg

I have them. All it takes is removing the three screws to check the pressure.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 11:34 AM, Seth said:

I have them on my mains. And, not my nose. They are black. Three screws to remove.

1983 M20J MIssile 300

-Seth

Any updates on getting your bird in the air?  Waiting (not that patiently lol) for any updates...photos, status, hold ups...

Hope you are at finish line.  May I suggest raising a glass after the wring out flight?  You’ve earned it!

On 12/1/2020 at 3:22 PM, DonMuncy said:

They are only for looks.

Richard Zephro used to recommend chrome wheel covers, so sunlight flashing on them would iicrease visibility. Same with polished spinners. He even advocated chrome stall strips on the wings . . . . Obviously before the LED strobe revolution. 

On 11/28/2020 at 11:14 PM, corn_flake said:

@ PT20J Where can I find these felt seals? I think this is a great idea. Protect dust without trapping moisture !!

Good evening, I wanted to return to this sentence because, with my experience in the industry, moisture retention is the reason why felt seals have been removed (scraper seals of machine tools using soluble cutting oil for example). Your wheels suffer the same fate when you use a wet track.

In despite of this, I do not recommend replacing these felt seals, because they also have an asset : less friction than the lip seal ring. Note that one could use a water-insensitive grease (baryum soap), but this would bypass Mooney's recommendation for a lithium soap grease. So for those who keep the felt joints, I recommend before winter or on track near the coasts (salt air) to soak the felt, after assembly, with oil. Do not put too many as the excess will be centrifuged and there will be drips on your rims and tires. For those who opt for lip seals as a replacement, be careful, because the tube of the first Mooney that will undergo the friction of the lip does not have the surface hardness required for this assembly. Eventually, the rubber of the lip will create a small groove in the tube (not recommended).

Edited by Raymond J

On 12/1/2020 at 9:28 PM, larryb said:

Is there a technical reason for having blankets? Or does it just look like? I don't have them on my plane.

Dust protection (felt gaskets or sealing ring with one lip (no dust lip)).

20200409_174722-2.jpg

20200427_155421-2.jpg

Edited by Raymond J
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Lost one recently. Any spares available?
I would like to get the older ones that have the lip on the edge and single retaining screw. Maybe if it would have had 3 screws it wouldn’t have departed. Didn’t see any on eBay. 
Thanks,

-Matt

6 hours ago, MB65E said:

Lost one recently. Any spares available?
I would like to get the older ones that have the lip on the edge and single retaining screw. Maybe if it would have had 3 screws it wouldn’t have departed. Didn’t see any on eBay. 
Thanks,

-Matt

I keep thinking about putting Hubba Hubba caps on my ac, but they’re awfully expensive. Looks like Spruce has covers that might fit your wheels:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/lg/wheel_hubcaps/groveHubcap_06-00845.php

On 11/29/2020 at 6:09 PM, DonMuncy said:

My hangar elf made mine, but yes, if you have covers you could punch the holes. (Greenlee punches work best)

Did he leave any dimensions?

3 hours ago, toto said:

I keep thinking about putting Hubba Hubba caps on my ac, but they’re awfully expensive. Looks like Spruce has covers that might fit your wheels:

I bought a new pair of Hubba Hubbas because I had them on a previous Mooney and really liked them. The problem is that they don’t fit on the Acclaim - one of them rubs just a little bit. PM me and I’ll make you a deal on them.

3 hours ago, toto said:

Thanks, saw those.  The ones I have have one center screw and almost a bead on the edge of the cover. They mounted to the center cap that covered the wheel nut. Turns out I bet they’ll be hard to find. 

-Matt

8 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I bought a new pair of Hubba Hubbas because I had them on a previous Mooney and really liked them. The problem is that they don’t fit on the Acclaim - one of them rubs just a little bit. PM me and I’ll make you a deal on them.

I'll take them if you don't sell them.  Did you have any trouble getting the air chuck into the little opening or were they convenient?  

On 11/29/2020 at 5:56 PM, Davidv said:

I ordered the Hubba Hubba caps but returned them because their convex design rubs against a rib in the gear housing when retracting (at least on long bodies). For that kind of money they better be perfect. 

How did you know they were rubbing?  You could get your hadn't in there when it was on the jacks?  Or you could see a mark on the hub cap?