Requesting Lunch Stop Suggestions: Philly to GRB

Seth

Hello MooneySpacers-

I need suggestions.  I'm heading to a wedding in Green Bay this weekend (it's a bye week for the Packers, and though I'm not a huge Packer fan, the rehersal dinner is at the stadium which is pretty cool - Thank goodness it's a bye week).  I need a place to stop for lunch.

I'm departing my home field of GAI - Gaithersburg early Thursday morning with a female passenger, we're headed to Wings field North of Philly, LOM, to pick up a buddy of mine, and from there will head to GRB.  However, due to the newly overhauled engine and still getting used to my second Mooney, I'm not going to take myself and two passengers over water until the engine earns my trust.  I plan to file for the KELSI intersection southwest of Chicago as every time I'm up that way, somehow that's the itersection I'm given (even though I don't file for it).

From my direct or close to direct leg of KLOM to KELSI - Where do you suggest I stop for lunch?  I'd like it to be somewhere in Ohio or Indiana as I know my female passenger will not want to make the 4.5 hour flight from LOM to GRB without a stop.    If it were me, I'd go direct or stop wherever.  

I'm open to suggestions.  From KLOM to KELSI is a 3:42 leg at 170 knots groundspeed (I'm factoring for a headwind).  My female passenger will not last much past 2.5 to 3 hours, which puts us in Ohio or Indiana.  The leg from KELSI to GRB is 1:05.

I'm looking forward to your suggestions.  Low gas prices help too, but a restaurant on the field is most important for the passengers. 

Oh, and the direct flight from GAI to GRB, if I didn't pick up my buddy and felt fine going over water (just me - yes - I have multiple flotation devices on board), is 3:26 at 170 kts groundspeed - Instead, with the stop in Philly and going around the lake, it'll be over 5 hours flight time - but that's okay!

Thanks!

-Seth

P.S.  Washington Redskins Fan - It's been a hard few years . . . but they did beat the Packers last year!

If you are looking for a neat place to go you can land at Kalamazoo (KAZO) and check out the Air Zoo.  Check my gallery and you will see some pics of what's there.  They have a small cafe inside that has decent food.  Plymouth, IN has a diner across the street from the airport.  If you are going South around the lake that would be closer.  You can always cross over Lake Michigan @ Frankfort.  The stretch there is ~ 40 miles across.  @ 10K you'll have enough to make the shore line.  There is a wedding in GB that we were supposed to go to this weekend as well but unfortunately my lack of an IR makes it a non-starter.....  GB from my airport is about an hour in the Missile.

Seth,

A place to consider.....

A few weeks ago, while escaping Hurricane Irene, heading to Chicago from NJ, we stopped at Youngstown, OH 4G4.

Elser Metro.  Sounds big, but isn't.

Airport car is a newish Caddy in wonderful condition.

Brad the memorable lineman, had our plane filled while we went for lunch.  There are a few restaurants in town, however we stopped at McDs for a quick turn around.

What makes 4G4 notable..

Two beechcraft stagger wings in the main hangar.  One completely restored, the other 75%.

Easy in, Easy out.

There are a couple of non-precision IAPs.

Overall, a brief but nice experience.  It was only supposed to be a fuel stop, but with four people and two staggerwings to look at, things take a little longer to settle out....

Best regards,

-a-

How far do you want to deviate? KPMH in southern Ohio has a diner, and there's a real restaurant at KPHD just a little west of Pittsburgh's airspace. It's spelled "CLEVER" but pronounced "CLEAVER" and there's a Garmin shop there, too. Watch the one and only tree in the cemetery if landing at PHD--it's right on the runway centerline, and the threshhold has been displaced because of it.

Thank you Hank - I'll look into that one.

Has anyone been to KRCR?  Fulton County?  Evidently you can taxi to right accross the street from a few restaurants, park, and walk accross the street.

It's right along my route - would love some feedback - only two posts on airnav.

-Seth

Thanks everyone!!  I'll have to make it a point to try all the suggestions at some point in the future.  RCR is right on my route, I called the field, and there are three restaurants within walking distance of the airport - One you can taxi right up to (but I'm not taking the Missile on grass just to not walk a few hundred feet).  RCR for this trip, maybe MIE or EYE on the way back.

Take care,

-Seth