S-Tec 30, worth the effort?

Captnmack

8 minutes ago, Captnmack said:

Hey all, 

Many probably have seen S-Tec 30’s for sale for under $4k complete. Worth the cost vs the Brittain? 

Thoughts?

Downfall is that it has to get back to STEC to get recertified for install to your aircraft legally under the STC. From what I've heard, the cost differential with a new system ends up being too modest to make it worth it. 

2 hours ago, Captnmack said:

Hey all, 

Many probably have seen S-Tec 30’s for sale for under $4k complete. Worth the cost vs the Brittain? 

Thoughts?

If a functional one is on the airplane already, it’s real nice.  If I was buying an airplane with an stec30A I’d be fine with that.  Mine has been real nice so far.  However, if you’re starting with no autopilot, I’d bite the bullet with the gfc500 and get newer, better technology and many more functions. The stec is likely to cost more in the long run.

yes, the cost is significantly more on paper, but install is about the same and you’ll have to pay stec to get the stc for your airplane.  By the time you add in those factors and used part conditions, the gfc looks pretty good.

Edited by Ragsf15e
  • Like 3

I've been shopping for a replacement autopilot for the last couple of years. After a couple of interventions, Accutrak still does the job but I want to upgrade to something more modern. While shopping, I stumbled on used S-Tec 30 and S-Tec 55X and started inquiring about the conversion to fit my airplane. Roughly, it will cost you about half of the purchase price of a new model to get it through the S-Tec process of getting an STC for your airplane. In the case of your S-Tec30, that will easily get you above the $10K mark, and it is not yet installed!

One deal I was offered by S-Tec is a full 55X system, including a refurbished controller and new servos and harness for under $10K. Guessing it will cost just about the same for installation, I think you'd be better off to contact them to make sure my estimates are still good and whether the deal for the 55X still stands.

But when everything is accounted for, it is a $20k proposition installed, be it a basic Garmin installation or the used or refurbished S-Tecs. 

• Like 2

I'm VERY glad my plane had an AP installed when I bought it.  Pretty much lucked out because it wasn't on my list of "must have" items when I was plane shopping.  No way I'd spend $20K.

I really like my STEC-30 with altitude hold and GPSS.  Never any problem in three years of ownership.  It's been solid and reliable.

It's a real shame that STEC is so greedy with transferring the STC!

Even without installation, $4K for the system would be a bargain.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't know the breakdown on a fresh install for a Mooney, but three GFC500 servos installed is 40 hours of labor on a Piper. Just the servos. I had this convo with my installer three days ago. That's $4k alone in labor plus the rest of the panel work on top of that. So figure about 13-14 hours per axis plus the head and configuration. I had tunnel vision, vertigo and auditory exclusion the more he talked.

1 hour ago, Unit74 said:

I don't know the breakdown on a fresh install for a Mooney, but three GFC500 servos installed is 40 hours of labor on a Piper. Just the servos. I had this convo with my installer three days ago. That's $4k alone in labor plus the rest of the panel work on top of that. So figure about 13-14 hours per axis plus the head and configuration. I had tunnel vision, vertigo and auditory exclusion the more he talked.

What the H! 40 hours to install 3 servos???!!! I have a difficult time believing it takes 13 hours to install one servo.

The STEC30/altitude is a really nice autopilot... if it's already installed in your airplane. But unfortunately I don't think it makes sense to install it after the fact. The GFC500 has been installed a few times in Mooneys for $17K or so. I think you'd have a hard time beating that price by more than one or two AMU's with a used STEC flying.

Genesys just doesn't like their products on the used market and makes it difficult. That and their refusal to certify the Mooney for the 3100 and I'm for one, not interested in doing business with them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Unit74 said:

.... three GFC500 servos installed is 40 hours of labor on a Piper. Just the servos....

I helped install a GFC500 in a C182 this year, and it probably took us 40 hours to do the servos.  Maybe more.  Harness routing, installation of the brackets, doublers, the servos, then the connections to the control cables plus calibration and paint touch-up.  

Great autopilot system now that it is in and working, though.     

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NotarPilot said:

What the H! 40 hours to install 3 servos???!!! I have a difficult time believing it takes 13 hours to install one servo.

You are probably right, but I was not going to argue about it as the entire job was flat-rated as a fly away cost. Their time investment is on them while I fully expect an on-quote check to be written. The only caveatis if they run into something not their fault and must be addressed such as corrosion or other airframe issues beyond the scope of the job.