First Oil Change Extras

mkrakoff

Hey all, I've got my first oil change coming up on my J. I'm doing it at my local (Non-MSC) shop and was wondering if there are any Mooney (or non-mooney) specific items you guys like get done during that service? Obviously a Blackstone analysis is included, but just thinking other preventative items.

Hope everyone has a happy and safe turkey day!

Just make sure they look at the oil screen, not just cut the oil filter. A few videos on here, it is said to be a pain in the boat due to tight space, but doable. These videos let you learn from the best.

• Like 1

Nothing that I know of.  Since you are having a shop do it and the first one for you make sure they do the finger screen.

If you are mechanically inclined and like getting your hands dirty consider learning to do the oil change yourself.

Save a few $$ and get a little more intimate with your girlfriend.:o:D

• Like 2

Bring a screw driver and socket set and check all your clamps hose exhaust etc while oil is draining.  Nothing specialized. I draw a sharpie line on the filter under the safety wire where it crosses over filter. Overkill cause safety wire won’t let it rotate, but I kinda like the quick visual inspection between oil changes. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

Camguard 5%.

Plus..

While not required on Lycomings I use the Aeroshell Plus, I forget what Phillips calls it but is the one that has the Lycoming “snake oil”. Lycoming sYs it is not required on an  O-360 but it does not hurt either. 

Victory

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you read around here...

oils...

filters...

Camgaurd...

screen...

oil pigs... for the big mess...

formafunnel to avoid the mess...

And half of a PVC pipe cut to perfection... plumber’s dream device for neat oil changes...

methods to drain the oil in advance...

methods to catch the oil sample being sent out... midstream, not the first easy to catch drips... 

PP things you can read around here...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

Are you going to do this yourself in the future or hire a shop?

If you're going to DIY, get some dual-instruction, so to speak, on the tricks. How not to spill the oil from the filter. There are several methods. How to safey the new filter. How tight to do it up. How to cut open and inspect the old filter. How to take the sample for analysis (let a quart drain first).

I like to take a good look at everything anytime the cowl is off. For a while you'll be just looking to see what normal looks like. Eventually something will catch your eye that isn't normal, better to catch something off early and know that its talking to you before a failure. Things that are loose, leaking, chafing, rubbing, exhaust leaks, exhaust hardware... stuff like that.

• Like 3

Mouse Milk the expansion joints on the Exhaust

Form a funnel

Bucket for old oil

roll of blue rags

safety wire

safety pliers.

flashlight inspection light.    Go all over the engine looking for things out of place.   Things rubbing.   cushion clamps missing

Do the fuel line to injector inspection

Look for signs of blue stains

Check the exhaust for cracks

It's not an oil change, it's a chance to catch things that need fixin on the ground.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1