Intermittent squeal on both comms

0TreeLemur

17 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

I looked and the inverter is grounded on a lug right below the pilot-side control column shaft, on a screw that penetrates the steel tubing.   There are about three other things grounded there too.  Here's a photo of the really nice looking TC100 with the sliced wire.   Why they did this blows me away.

IMG_1382.jpeg

PM sent

Another banner day at the hangar!  As @takair suggested, I moved the TC100 ground point, and my noise problem disappeared.   I suspect it was a bad ground connection.  I cut off the crimp-on eye, extended the wire and crimped on a new eye.   System is so quiet, I couldn't tell it was on without doing a radio check.   Wow.  Gone are the whine and squeals!

Thanks to all for their input.  Big shout out to @Baker Avionics @takair, and @PT20J.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Another banner day at the hangar!  As @takair suggested, I moved the TC100 ground point, and my noise problem disappeared.   I suspect it was a bad ground connection.  I cut off the crimp-on eye, extended the wire and crimped on a new eye.   System is so quiet, I couldn't tell it was on without doing a radio check.   Wow.  Gone are the whine and squeals!

Thanks to all for their input.  Big shout out to @Baker Avionics @takair, and @PT20J.

This week’s Sharpest Knives in the Draw award goes to...   Greg, Rob, and Skip!  :)

Solving the errant noise challenges we often get in our audio systems...

These guys put in a lot of work with aging machinery... just like we have...  and then share their knowledge here!

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

I was thinking about this thread today - I was flying today and someone somewhere had the most gawd awful squeal on their radio.  They were talking but no one could hear them and everyone within 50 miles had headaches with that squeal in our ears!

Sounds like they have a mic jack that isn't properly insulated!  

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, carusoam said:

This week’s Sharpest Knives in the Draw award goes to...   Greg, Rob, and Skip!  :)

Solving the errant noise challenges we often get in our audio systems...

These guys put in a lot of work with aging machinery... just like we have...  and then share their knowledge here!

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-

Great to hear!  Sorry I was offline for a few days.  Fred, exciting news!!!!!!!!  I am still sending you the proper hardware for your rear mic jack so it will be correct.  

• Thanks 1