Uavionix skysensor

mooniacX

Hi All. PIREP time. I have the Uavionix skybeacon and it works great. I decided to add the skysensor on the right side. It works flawlessly. My IA did have to do a 337 since it is still experimental but for any of you needing ads-b in, its a really nice unit. Installation took about 15 minutes (had to bypass the high voltage of the strobe) 3 wires, just like the skybeacon. Once done all that is needed is to find the skysensor wifi and load up your EFB and you are ready to go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeOH said:

This looks to be a $750, plus installation, solution for ADS-B in.

As I have Foreflight on my iPad, I went with the $200 Scout solution (NO install cost): https://flywithscout.com

42 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Or a Stratux with dual-band ADSB-in, a WAAS-GPS source for your EFB, AHRS and battery for $250.   Less if you buy a kit and put it together yourself.  ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Stratux-Receiver-Aviation-Weather-Traffic/dp/B071HMQY19

But with his Skysensor he also now has the green position light on that side plus a strobe and it matches the other side aesthetically.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

But with his Skysensor he also now has the green position light on that side plus a strobe and it matches the other side aesthetically.

Well, that explains it, then!  I already had the strobe and green position light.  And, since I went with the TailBeacon, I was aesthetically copacetic, too:D

2 hours ago, Tim Jodice said:

$750 plus install to keep warts off your glareshield. No wires, no batteries.

That looks like an awesome way to get ads-b in. 

Hey, I'm a proud CB.  No batteries, or glare shield warts with the Scout.  Mounts in the corner of the windshield with suction cups.

One wire routed inconspicuously is well worth saving well over $550 ($550 delta plus install costs):D

YMMV, but that's a bunch of avgas!

On 11/26/2020 at 9:08 PM, MikeOH said:

Mounts in the corner of the windshield with suction cups.

Pretty much defines what I call a 'wart.' (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

You're right, that's a lot of avgas; and according to the website, it's for experimental aircraft. Hopefully there is an effort to certify it.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 11/24/2020 at 6:17 PM, mooniacX said:

Hi All. PIREP time. I have the Uavionix skybeacon and it works great. I decided to add the skysensor on the right side. It works flawlessly. My IA did have to do a 337 since it is still experimental but for any of you needing ads-b in, its a really nice unit. Installation took about 15 minutes (had to bypass the high voltage of the strobe) 3 wires, just like the skybeacon. Once done all that is needed is to find the skysensor wifi and load up your EFB and you are ready to go.

Can you share your 337 ? 

On 10/27/2021 at 1:35 PM, James3273 said:

Already have the SkyBeacon. Looking to add the sky sensor. Need the 337 information if you wouldn’t mind sharing that information. 

It is the same as the skybeacon. Exact same hook up just on the other side.

337 Maybe not??   I'm not an IA but wouldn't this be a minor mod and log book entry by an A&P?  I think that it is.  Minor mods don't need 337 correct?  I'm not sure how it all works but couldn't you also go under the added safety route as well like shoulder belts, AOA and other items?

The "experimental" issue I think will be found in that the position light is not TSO'd but "MEETS" TSO requirements. The other side completed the full TSO approvals.

How to get around that "may" work in how the 337 is signed off but remember  337s are not reviewed anymore by anyone at the FAA They are only filed away in our aircraft records.

I too would like to see  a copy of the 337    Please do post it for all of us  

On 10/30/2021 at 9:24 AM, vorlon1 said:

So are you saying we can install experimental electronics in the plane and call it a minor mod? When did this change happen? :blink:

Over the past few years…

Slowly things have entered the cockpit that are incredibly useful… where the FAA would not have approved it…

If you have been around long enough… you will remember the illegal nature of having outdated charts in the plane…

So instead of having some good information to work with… pilots tossed the old stuff to not get in trouble with it…

Like everything else… when it is outside your area of expertise… don’t be afraid to find the guy that has the expertise and get his input…

It took a long time to get iPad charts approved for use in flight…  today, iPad mounts are made to look like real instruments… yet, they are fully removable in flight without tools… and are connected to the certified power system…

And today’s FAA is a whole lot better than yesterday’s….

Things that looked experimental one day… may have cleared enough hurdles to meet installation right on the panel…  use the Garmin G5 for example…

So… if the same device comes in two flavors… make sure you get the one marked certified for a few dollars more… :)

Same for the fancy G3X… straight from the experimental division at G….

The only thing that is constant… is change.

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2020 at 7:17 PM, mooniacX said:

@mooniacXPlease, oh please look up the 337 and send a photo?

• 7 months later...

A 337 does NOT allow you to install non TSO / certified equipment. 

if that was the case all of us Dynon people would have an autopilot. 

There is NOT a legal path to getting this installed short of getting a DER involved and or an stc. There is the question of “who cares”, and where I live, the answer is for sure the FSDO. 

Edited by chriscalandro