Flight Director takeoff with dual Garmin GI 275’s compared with vacuum driven AI - Mooney M20R Ovation

Fly_M20R

Great before and after details, Fly!

It als shows one of the benefits of having the FD... it displays the attitude selected of the AP.

Without the FD... my KAP can set the attitude... but it can’t tell me what it thinks I entered... until I’m flying it...

Thanks for sharing the awesome details...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

Great before and after details, Fly!

It als shows one of the benefits of having the FD... it displays the attitude selected of the AP.

Without the FD... my KAP can set the attitude... but it can’t tell me what it thinks I entered... until I’m flying it...

Thanks for sharing the awesome details...

Best regards,

-a-

The way I see it is the flight director is the visual representation of what the autopilot computer tells the servo controller of the AP to do, whether the servos are engaged or not. If they are not engaged then the pilot becomes the "servo controller". :)

I could never use the KI256's  FD reliably on takeoff. Nice to have a stable one withe the GI275. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Fly_M20R said:

The way I see it is the flight director is the visual representation of what the autopilot computer tells the servo controller of the AP to do, whether the servos are engaged or not. If they are not engaged then the pilot becomes the "servo controller". :)

Exactly. The other piece is a general recommendation that, when hand flying, if you are not going to follow the FD, turn it off. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JD in Jersey said:

can you set a speed on the  FD? say climb at Vy

With my KFC 150 autopilot the only item you can set is pitch and not IAS for climb or descent or a particular vertical speed. Of course, you can also select ALT hold, NAV, APR, BC. Other autopilots such as Garmin's GFC500 can set speed and then the flight director will indicate which pitch you need to follow to keep that speed. Same with vertical speed which can also be set on the GFC500 and then the FD will show the pitch required for that vertical speed. 

The flight director is essentially the visual representation of what the autopilot computer is calculating the pitch and roll should be for the mode selected on the AP, be it HDG, ALT hold, pitch, IAS, VS, VNAV, NAV, APR, etc. if the autopilot is engaged it will then control the servos to achieve the settings. If not engaged but with the mode(s) selected it will show the FD on the AI for the pilot to follow it's commands. 

Edited by Fly_M20R

Things have changed in tremendous ways over the past 25years...

1) Getting lost is a thing of the past...

2) Getting found happens faster than ever...

3) Learning and communicating with other Mooney pilots occurs daily, if interested....

4) Finding great Mooney specific CFIIs is super easy...

5) Getting recommendations for any subject, part, or plane... starts with asking a question...

6) People don’t mind investing in tools and training... to be...

• Safer
  • More efficient
  • Speedier

7) There hasn’t been a better time to be flying a Mooney than today... :)

8) Many people return to Mooney flying after years of working, house payments, college tuitions....

What keeps you from turning ‘thinking about flying’ into ‘going flying’?

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1