Retractable Step hangs up on skin, won't extend after landing

Have any of you with F models had your retractable step hang-up on the belly skin part of the opening, and not extend?  Mine is doing this, looks like either wear on the two 840006 bearing block halves, or the bulkhead is bending over time.

Do you have pictures of how it is getting hung up?  May just require slight adjustment by loosening the bolts and shifting. The step also has sheet metal and screws  on it that may be getting hung up. Also check that the aircraft skin didn’t get pushed in locally. As I recall, There is a fairing that can cause things to shift. All this is to say that, while things do wear, you can likely correct it without replacing parts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wburger1 said:

After landing mine only comes down about 1/2 way.  I have to step on it to bring it down all the way.  Greased it with no luck. 

The coil spring may have lost its spring.  One problem to look our for if the step does not come down is that the excess cable can get caught up near the battery and battery solenoid.  I think the replacement springs are available or there is an available alternative with the electric retrofit.

• Like 1

Clean, grease, and use caution with that spring...

It packs a lot of energy, and wants to go haywire... quickly.

Sometimes it goes haywire on its own... if you press the step up and the spring doesn’t retract... it can find a twisting method to release the sprung energy...

Inspect the spring for damage... it may have gone hay-wire on somebody else’s watch... :)

Hmmm.... an alternate spring is available when updating the step to electric...

That could make for a one stop shop for a solution...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

18 hours ago, wburger1 said:

After landing mine only comes down about 1/2 way.  I have to step on it to bring it down all the way.  Greased it with no luck. 

By the way...grease may be on the thick side and actually slow things down. Clean the assembly and try a thin, ragged on, coat of tri-flow.