M20 M20A wooden Wing

I can’t do it! I can’t take a chain saw to this wing.. coffee table, work desk, decoration.. I just can’t do it. Does anyone want this wing to rebuild? The main structure is solid but has the standard trailing edge damage. There were only 699 of the wooden wing Mooney’s manufactured, 200 M20s with the Lycoming 0-320 150hp and 499 M20As. So anyway, some please step up to help save this wing. I have heard there are 2 shops that still rebuild these, but don’t know the names of them.. I took my honeymoon to Alaska in a 1960 M20A and have a “thing” for them. 

Gary 608 334 0051

CA2E276A-914C-4195-BF9D-F7D4DA9246B1.jpeg

6609A263-5358-4AEF-899D-AC082775C174.jpeg

D1E906C0-C980-4625-97BF-5F61667B6B63.png

Edited by Gary Bymers

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

I have a saw !!!!

:o You wouldn't, would you? We have excellent wood working Aircraft Maintenance Engineers here in Canada that have restored wings that Transport Canada thought were beyond repair, but the AME's endured the process to re-certification. May not always be cost effective, but keeps them flying. 

• Like 1

I wish I had the woodworking skills required for the "Amateur Built" Class (Canada's "EXPERIMENTAL" or "Homebuilt Class). After watching the rebuild of C-GXTR's M-18 wooden wing when I was a kid, I remarked to the AME that I would love to have an M20 wing for him to build a large 2 place tandem Mooney (with stick control). I thought of that immediately when I saw the photo in the post. Here's the M-18 wing rebuild. (I don't know why it is in black and white, they had colour cameras when I was a kid!). 

CGXTR Jacobson 4.jpg

Just now, Gary Bymers said:

Thanks for that and thanks for the picture, very cool shot of the inside workings of the structure. I think the skills would be quite straightforward to acquire! 
Happy New Year

Gary

A forward (main) one piece spar and a smaller but still strong rear spar. No wonder Mooney wings are so tough (even the wooden ones). The box spar design carries the strength throughout the inner wing's cord and provides additional landing gear support. That Al Mooney had some great ideas for wings, retractable gear, and let's face it ... airplanes in general!