Insight G2 knob removal?

mhrivnak

I'm removing an Insight G2 engine monitor to make way for my new JPI EDM 900, but I can't figure out how to remove the two knobs on the G2 so that I can remove it from the panel.

I don't see a set screw anywhere, I tried pulling hard without breaking it, and I don't see any mention of installing or removing the knobs in the manual. The stem for each knob extends through its own tiny hole in the panel, so the knobs must have been put on after the instrument was mounted.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I have G3 and I believe there is a special tool to remove the knobs.  I found it in all the stuff the PO gave me when I bought the plane.  Unfortunately, I have never put it to use, so I can't give you first hand advice.  I wouldn't force anything, that's for sure; it all looks pretty fragile.

You need to pry out the caps (the caps that have SEL and PG on them. that cover the knobs. Use a blade or a tiny flat screwdriver for that . Make sure you don.t loose those caps . 

then use the tool pictured above to remove the knobs. Hold the knob and unscrew with the tool above (it will be straightforward once you uncap the knobs 

Edited by OR75
Corrected typo

Thank you all. I was able to get the knobs off and the instrument out. I don't have that little wrench, but I took and old 3/16" flat head screwdriver and cut a notch in the middle. It worked great.

I had tried prying the caps off with my fingers previously, which didn't work. When I used a blade though, they came right off. Thanks!

Yes, the Insight G2 will be for sale with the harness and 4 each CHT and EGT probes. It works great; I just wanted to upgrade to the JPI EDM 900 and replace all of my primary instruments. I'll have a bunch of stuff to post for sale when I'm done with this install, but if anyone is interested in this engine monitor in the meantime, get in touch. I haven't looked into what it's worth, but I'm sure we can figure it out. I'll even include my customized screwdriver for installing the knobs. ;)

• Like 2