What does this NOTAM imply?

aviatoreb

What does this NOTAM imply?  It is a large area indicating UAS so unmanned aerial system, as an indefinite new area of operation.  It is not a complete surprise since the MOA's surrounding the Fort Drum area have been part of a UAS testing site since several years and I have gotten used to air traffic control calling out large UAS just like they would any other aircraft.

That more northerly circle is about maybe 20nm from my home base.  So I expect to be by there a good bit.  Is this just more of the same - just an attention that there will be UAS flights in with the flow, or should I take it to mean more?

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 8.10.49 PM.png

Notam details have gotten more graphical lately...

Some apps use a change of color depending on first notification vs. active...

In this case it looks like instead of building a border wall... we can use drones to fly the border line...

Lots of green leafy substances are trying to avoid taxation...   (this is completely fictitious, and made up on the spot...) :) 

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, carusoam said:

In this case it looks like instead of building a border wall... we can use drones to fly the border line...

Lots of green leafy substances are trying to avoid taxation...   (this is completely fictitious, and made up on the spot...) :) 

Gotta watch the Canadian cartels! Buffalo is a smuggling hotspot . . . . .   :D :lol: :D :lol:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, carusoam said:

Notam details have gotten more graphical lately...

Some apps use a change of color depending on first notification vs. active...

Best regards,

-a-

Yes - old school is untaxed cigarettes and alcohol so I hear.

• Like 1

Besides border patrol - I will say again - the Fort Drum MOA was named several years ago as one of the national testing sites and training sites for drones.  Big and small.

About 4 months ago I went to KRME for cheap fuel and someplace to go (check it out Anthony - today its 3.23 but it was 2.87 four months ago).

Anyway I heard on the radio and then I saw a small drone the size of a large couch - with forward canards and some engine that sounded like a lawn mower, doing touch and goes - on that very large runway.  Its funny hearing the pilot talking to tower on the radio and then you see an aircraft barely big enough to carry my 14lb dog.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Auto gasoline is in the low $2 range around here lately...   :)

Partially pandemic pricing, and really good supply...

We need more E-vehicles to add to the fuel competition...

Best regards,

-a-

Car fuel prices dont matter any more for the time being.  Living in a small town working from home and usually riding my bike around in the summer anyway.  I bought a new car in April and it still only has about 700 miles on it.  I’ve only filled it up once.

• Like 2