Commercial Accuracy Landings in an M20E (or C, F, G)

20 minutes ago, Pilot boy said:

I’m curious which POH recommends no turns under 90 without flaps?  What year and model?  

My C's manual says "to all for a safe margin above stall speed throughout approach, hold airspeed above 90 MPH until the flaps are lowered."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

My C's manual says "to all for a safe margin above stall speed throughout approach, hold airspeed above 90 MPH until the flaps are lowered."

Okay my E 1964 manual just says 90 mph on base, 80 mph on final descent.  Final approach is 10mph above stall speed.  At full gross with zero bank and full flaps the Vso stall speed is only 57 mph...if winds aren't bad I may start shooting for about 70-75 mph over the fence.  I know the buzzer doesnt go off in my E until usually around 68 to 70 mph when doing power off stalls.

Edited by Pilot boy

51 minutes ago, Pete M said:

adjust aoa in the flare, higher to float, flat to touch down quicker. You can also raise the flaps to get her to plant if you find you're floating.

If you are floating you are too fast, or the gear is still up.   Then just fly it on if you are trying to hit a spot.  Assuming the gear is down.

I did multiple short field and power off 180s a few days ago.  It seems for the short field in non gusty conditions about 75 mph at 50 ft, pull power just beyond the numbers around 1st/2nd stripe works well to hit the 120 ft of the 3rd runway stripe.  This is in calm winds like 7 knots.  A little less speed than what I’d been doing before.  80 mph works too if you’re near max gross but you’d an easily overshoot.  The 180 is mostly a timing game but you want to be faster like 95/100mph as you arrive over the runway if you want to make it to the 200 ft touchdown bars.  Depends a lot on height AGL at that point if you need flaps or not.

On 11/25/2020 at 10:01 AM, Yetti said:

75 F   I think other do too.   in the landing section.

I looked throughout the E POH and it basically says 90 for base, 80 mph for final, then 10 mph above Vso for the final approach and flare.  Vso is 57 mph in the 64 E with zero bank.  I’m also always well aware of stall speeds and AoA in bank angles, no worries.  I don’t do more than 30 or 40 in the pattern.  40 degree bank stall speed in the E with zero flaps is 78 mph.  30 Degree bank stall speed is just under 74 mph.  Any flaps and it is lower stall speed of course.

As others have said, it’s an exercise in energy management. There is no way to do it by rote because there are too many variables. You have to continuously assess and adjust. That’s the whole point of the maneuver.

I read somewhere that when doing his 180 dead stick landings Bob Hoover would constantly monitor his progress and verbalize “money in the bank — taking some out” as he made adjustments.

Skip

• Like 1