Landing Height System for Mooney

Microkit

29 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Mine are David Clarks with Headsets Inc. ANR conversion. Is anyone here conversant with that set-up to know whether there may be a stereo/mono selection there somewhere.

Fuzzy old memory, but….

check the side of this blob on the headset wire… it may have a tiny sliding switch that is probably marked M & S…

Just a guess…

Wish Bob was here… he really liked his DCs… and he was an electrical engineer….  :)

Best regards,

-a-

EEEFCEF0-AE3F-49FE-BD24-274D5FBBF2ED.jpeg

My intercom is mono…

I remember testing it to see what would happen if I flipped my DC’s stereo switch to stereo…

it gave a weirder response other than cutting out the one channel…

I was probably hoping I had a stereo intercom when I first got it….  :)

Best regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

Good memory Anthony. 

And for the LHS, they need to be in mono? I don't ever remember touching that switch.

Only because you have a mono audio panel.  With a stereo audio panel it can be in stereo.

• Like 1

Yes, this is just part of laser element characteristics.  When flying straight & level in an IMC layer that is 'near' freezing, it can hit a target such as cooled water droplets ice crystals and report it back.   The procedure for those who fly IMC regularly, is to either ignore it or disable the audio using the "Switched" input on the audio panel and add a note to their landing checklist to enable it.

Yes, that is el what I thought and did.

Oscar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

Where are most of the long body types mounting their sensor?

On my Ovation, tight wing (closer to intercom) trailing edge panel, closest to the body.  Short run.  Nothing critical in the way.

LHS in Mooney.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 2:10 PM, DonMuncy said:

Good memory Anthony. 

And for the LHS, they need to be in mono? I don't ever remember touching that switch.

Don, 

I have a DC headset with  Headset Inc ANR and I don't think there's a stereo/mono switch like on other headsets... 

I used them for years with no issues with sono KMA24 and stereo PMA7000 audio panels.

18 minutes ago, Igor_U said:

Don, 

I have a DC headset with  Headset Inc ANR and I don't think there's a stereo/mono switch like on other headsets... 

I used them for years with no issues with sono KMA24 and stereo PMA7000 audio panels.

I think it depends on the source headset. I have a Headsets, Inc mod to an H10-13S, and it has a stereo/mono switch in the cable as described. But if you started with the non-S model, then it’s probably a mono headset with no switch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hammdo said:

Don, I have the kit installed and I do have a mono audio panel (PMA7000M) using Bose A20 headset.  I'm at KGYI and could fly down if you and your AP want to check mine out.

-Don

Don,

Thanks. Actually, the gurus working on it are a full avionics shop. (Which makes it even more unbelievable that we are having the problem.) I have a hard time envisioning that looking at yours would help troubleshoot mine. But they are going to reinstall the unit tomorrow and look again. I will tell them about your generous offer. I will let you know if they would like to look. Why don't you text me your number (214) 207-6744 and when I go out in the morning, I could call you if it looks helpful. 

Better yet, why don't you plan a flight to RBD and I will buy you lunch. then if they need to look at your plane, it will be convenient.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2021 at 10:03 AM, LANCECASPER said:

I was referring to a Mooney with a G1000 and the Garmin GMA 1347 Audio Panel.

Hey Lance I’m currently having the LHS installed in my Bravo G1000, I believe there using the ADF button on the G1000, it should have the ability to turn on and off.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Will.iam said:

Wow 7 hours? What took the most time?

A little over 3 hours to remove and cut the inspection plate to attach the device and run the wires to the front panel.  The balance of the time to run the wires to the audio panel and wire the circuit breaker and on/off switch.  I have a deluxe installation.  If you don't want the circuit breaker, the install time would be less.  You should have the on/off switch because you will want the unit off when flying in moisture because the lidar will reflect the rain and give a false reading.

• Thanks 1

I have had mine for a LONG time and still do not have it installed properly. I took it to my avionics shop (who I have used for a long time; have multiple excellent technicians I trust, etc.) They put it in, but the volume on the unit is so low it can barely be heard on roll-out, and not at all in the air. They ultimately sent the unit back to Nidal to be checked out. He said it is within specs. After reinstallation, it is unchanged. They had everyone in the shop scratching their heads, but no answer yet. One of our MS guys has offered to bring his plane (with an installed unit) for me to listen to, and ultimately swap my unit for his to troubleshoot, but we haven't gotten together yet. 

Any ideas?