Cessna down at Cynthiana Harrison

I saw this post on my FB feed from one of my favorite airports, Cynthiana Harrison County Airport.  Absolutely amazing that all 3 survived from the looks of this picture!

"At approximately 6:30pm on 11/19 a Cessna 172 crashed at the airport with three occupants (no fatalities). Please check notams for the airport before planning your flight on 11/20."

Image may contain: airplane

I have no idea what happened in this instance.
That area is a bit of a black hole at night with little ground reference lighting.  A few years ago I departing into solid blackness there, I had plenty of night experience but no instrument rating at the time. Once I lifted off the runway and pitched up I had to go straight to the instruments, all I could think about was keeping it level in a climb and clearing the trees. Absolutely no perceived motion in the airplane and solid blackness all around.

I had another 2+ hours to go from there in that trip, but 10-15 minutes north of the airport I realized my head was still not right after that experience and I returned to Cynthiana for the night. Safe and sound, solid nights sleep and continued the trip to MI the next morning. Probably one of the best aviation decisions I’ve made. 

• Like 4