Mooney Instruction in Orange County, CA

tim417

I’m a private pilot with about 200 hours on the C172 and looking to get instrument rated in 2021. One of my goals in the next couple years is to purchase a plane and after much research, I think the Mooney would fit my mission quite well. 

I’d like to get some instruction on a Mooney and get spooled up to the point where I am competent and confident in the aircraft. Can anyone recommend a good school with a Mooney in the Orange County, CA area?

Thanks in advance!

There are actually two K models for rent in SOCAL - a 231 at Santa Monica (Santa Monica Flyers) and a 252/Encore at CRQ (Pinnacle) . This is most unusual to see Turbo Mooney's for rent. I really don't recommend checking either of these out though. It'll ruin your future prospects for ever flying a NA again. Once you experience benefits of Turbo few could ever go back to NA!  The other option is a very early M20A or B at Dubois at Chino.

For any of these, you would join the club or school and then use one of their instructors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tim417 said:

At this point I’d love just a ride in one and would be happy to split costs or whatever works. 

I have a turbo-normalized 65 E and would be happy to introduce you to the breed. Plane will be based in Corona or SNA shortly. Previously owned a 67 F (turbo RayJay) and 79 231. PM if interested. 

Joe

3 hours ago, tim417 said:

I’m a private pilot with about 200 hours on the C172 and looking to get instrument rated in 2021. One of my goals in the next couple years is to purchase a plane and after much research, I think the Mooney would fit my mission quite well. 

I’d like to get some instruction on a Mooney and get spooled up to the point where I am competent and confident in the aircraft. Can anyone recommend a good school with a Mooney in the Orange County, CA area?

Thanks in advance!

Congrats Tim!

You have asked all the right questions, and gave enough of the proper details to elicit some really good responses...

TMO has given a great idea... Get a ride!

Richard and Joe have offered exactly that great first step...

Don’t wait... see if you can schedule an hour or two with Paul... He is not only a highly rated CFII... but also has a really strong background in engine operations....

It doesn’t get any better than that!

PP thoughts only, not a CFII or engine expert...

You could be a perfect match for a Mooney aircraft..!  :)

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-