Lightspeed Aviation

I try really really hard not to talk bad about people that have done me wrong, but when someone goes above and beyond to do something right I have to share.  
 So my wife and daughter have been flying with me more often this year so we’ve been on the hunt for the right headsets to upgrade for them.  I’ve been a Bose A20 user since they were launched, I still use that headset and love it. No complaints except the $1100 purchase price (which isn’t really bad over a 10+ year period when you think about it).  I saw a trade in promotion for Lightspeed and thought, hmm, I think the headset my wife has been using is an ancient Lightspeed Mach 1 that I used when flying gliders, got to be 15 years old or so.  Out to the plane I go and sure enough they are, and Lightspeed offers $100 for it as a trade-in, so I ordered a Zulu 3 last night.  When I received the confirmation email it said to allow 2 days for order processing...uh oh, we really wanted them for a trip next week.  So I call Lightspeed today to tell them my woes and they really stepped up! We should have the new headset possibly tomorrow or Monday at no extra costs. I offered to pay extra for shipping and she refused saying they wanted to make sure that I had them in time.  Unreal customer service from Lightspeed Aviation!

I don’t know how they will compare to my Bose but I’m happy to give them a try, maybe I’ll give the old Bose to my daughter and keep the new Zulu’s for me!

(My wife likes the lightweight in-ear style over headsets so we ordered a Clarity Aloft Classic for her.)

Anyway, LightSpeed Aviation, go here to purchase: https://www.lightspeedaviation.com/product-category/headsets/

Happy flying!

• Like 7

My experience with them has been the same.

The Zulus have a somewhat higher clamping pressure than the Bose, so if the batteries die they're a bit easier to hear the radio. Good for pilots, less of a problem for passengers.

Looks like you just missed their holiday giveaway mentioned here for some earbuds.

• Like 1

I have been flying with Lightspeed Headsets for 14 years or so.  I currently have the Zulu PFX's which some may not even know about since they were discontinued soon after they were released by Lightspeed.  They are an amazing headset and I spoke to 2 reps and neither one knew why they were discontinued (and both were upset that they were) and then the Zulu 3's came out.  I think you will be happy with your Lightspeeds.  I have both.  I use my Lightspeeds all the time.  The Bose A20's are for passengers.  I think the Bose are awesome, I just like my Lightspeeds better.

And for over 12 years now they have always been a great company for me and treated me well.  I have twice sent my headset back to them for some work and they came back like new.  In fact I thought they were new at one time they did such a good job.  And I had to send them back for work because I was hard on them not because the headsets were faulty.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Greg Ellis said:

I have been flying with Lightspeed Headsets for 14 years or so.  I currently have the Zulu PFX's which some may not even know about since they were discontinued soon after they were released by Lightspeed.  They are an amazing headset and I spoke to 2 reps and neither one knew why they were discontinued (and both were upset that they were) and then the Zulu 3's came out.

I have no firsthand experience, but I remember complaints of the weight and battery life. Supposed to be great noise cancellation though. I was going to get a pair but by the time I was ready to upgrade the 3 was out.

18 minutes ago, smwash02 said:

Looks like you just missed their holiday giveaway mentioned here for some earbuds.

I did see that in my email first thing this AM but figured if they want me to have it they’ll throw it in the package.  I wasn’t going to ask for more when she took care of my immediate need so easily!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smwash02 said:

I have no firsthand experience, but I remember complaints of the weight and battery life. Supposed to be great noise cancellation though. I was going to get a pair but by the time I was ready to upgrade the 3 was out.

I bought Bose and my brother bought Lightspeed. All these years we always say to each other mine is better than yours when we would fly together but we never swapped headsets with each other to see for ourselves!

He’ll probably tell me “I told you so” at the Thanksgiving table this year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, smwash02 said:

Interesting.  I have no issues with the battery life.  I get quite a long time out of a set.  According to Lightspeed website, the PFX's weigh 14oz and the Zulu 3's weigh 14.6 oz so not sure about the weight either.  All I know is that they work great.  If they ever give up I will probably go with the Zulu 3's...sticking with a great company.  But something more amazing may be out by then.:)

• Like 1