GTN 650 Alerts

K Hudson

I believe this subject was discussed previously but I can’t find the thread. I recently had a GTN 650 Xi installed, based on the owners manual it indicates there are basic obstacle visual and audio alerts. I do get visual (no audible) airspace alerts through messages and I can see the obstacles on the map but it doesn’t show up as an alert through messaging or audio.  I get the audible 500 foot call out on approach so I’m assuming the unit is installed correctly. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

1 hour ago, K Hudson said:

I believe this subject was discussed previously but I can’t find the thread. I recently had a GTN 650 Xi installed, based on the owners manual it indicates there are basic obstacle visual and audio alerts. I do get visual (no audible) airspace alerts through messages and I can see the obstacles on the map but it doesn’t show up as an alert through messaging or audio.  I get the audible 500 foot call out on approach so I’m assuming the unit is installed correctly. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

You need to ensure that this connection is there for your audio panel unswitched input.  This is on the P1001 connector.  It is the hook up that puts the alerts out to the audio panel. 

Capture.JPG

Edited by Baker Avionics
Added info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Terrain and obstacle alerts would not show up as the same type of message as airspace alerts.  Under most settings the GTN650 will just automatically switch into a mode displaying terrain/obstacles if you are close to them.  You have to be pretty close to those items before it gives you a warning though.  Only time I see or hear those alerts is if I'm vfr flying in the mountain valleys or if you are going into an uncharted airport.  If you have ADSB in connected its a similar callout as traffic. 

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01004-03_M.pdf Section 10.6.3 will show you what to expect and when. 

Edited by FlyinAggie14
Adding Link
  • Like 1