New to Kansas City - M20E Owner and CFI

KLudwick

Hey guys!  Just wanted to say hello and see if there are any other Kansas City based Mooney owners on here!  I'm an M20E owner, a CFI, and just started at Garmin about a month ago.  Let me know if you're in the area and looking for any transition training, a BFR, or Garmin training!

8FCBCBA3-91AB-4DCA-A703-DA4D08D9854B.JPG

• Like 2

Welcome!  Great looking plane.

I'm not in KC but down at Lake of the Ozarks and go in and out of Lee's Summit and KC Downtown regularly.  I know there are some Mooneys based at Lee's Summit but I don't know if any of their owners are on here.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 10:26 AM, KLudwick said:

Hey guys!  Just wanted to say hello and see if there are any other Kansas City based Mooney owners on here!  I'm an M20E owner, a CFI, and just started at Garmin about a month ago.  Let me know if you're in the area and looking for any transition training, a BFR, or Garmin training!

8FCBCBA3-91AB-4DCA-A703-DA4D08D9854B.JPG

By the way, did you say you were at New Century, or did CAV deduce that from the Garmin comment? I think I missed something :)

This would be cool....

Start with....

1) KL what airport will you be at? KMCI, KC Downtown, or the CAV suggested KIXD... Olathe, home of big G!

2) There are always Garmin questions going on around here... often ground breaking... and sometimes new user type questions...   The usual Garmin guy is so busy he is spread awfully thin... is this something you can help with?

Essentially help with customer communications... between Mooney owners and the proper parts of Garmin... Trek could use a hand...  :)

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

23 hours ago, carusoam said:

This would be cool....

Start with....

1) KL what airport will you be at? KMCI, KC Downtown, or the CAV suggested KIXD... Olathe, home of big G!

2) There are always Garmin questions going on around here... often ground breaking... and sometimes new user type questions...   The usual Garmin guy is so busy he is spread awfully thin... is this something you can help with?

Essentially help with customer communications... between Mooney owners and the proper parts of Garmin... Trek could use a hand...  :)

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

1) I live in Lenexa, putting me equidistant from KC Downtown, OJC, and IXD.  On the hangar lists at most all local airports at this point!  Would happily instruct in Mooneys out of any and all local airports, though!

2) I would be happy to help with Garmin questions, or make sure we get the question answered by the right SME!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KLudwick said:

On the hangar lists at most all local airports at this point!

Last I heard, there were hangars available at Lee's Summit.  No idea whether that's still true.

Otherwise, you might try K34.  Not a great runway most days for a Mooney (the main runway is grass, and the paved crosswind runway is pretty short).  But it's certainly workable.  They have a waiting list, but it's shorter than the big airports.

Sent you a PM about Joco.

• Like 1

Mental note...  @KLudwick is my new Garmin guy... 

I know a Garmin issue is going to come up in a week or so...

I will be searching for the Garmin guy.... 

This will be one of the posts that shows up...

It will be great to have a Garmin connection at MS...

I only have a few fuzzy memories and aging challenges.... and there are only a few thousand MSers... 

Best regards,

-a-

I will dare to propose that a well kept grass runway might even be better than a poorly kept hard runway. Unfortunately, well kept grass is expensive - by the time you're done with drainage, reinforcements, etc, etc, the cost isn't much less than asphalt.

The best grass runway I've ever had the pleasure of touching down on, EPHN, actually has a base layer identical to what would be used for a highway, than some soil, special type of grass, and plastic reinforcements. But I guess getting a grin and thumbs-up from PC24 test pilots is priceless ;-)

Great pic!  Love the orientation and your paint.  The Stinger/Butler hook looks great on your bird!  I have a co-owner with relatives in Kansas.  Dad is Chiefs Season Ticket Holder.  We have flown into Downtown for a couple games together.  Good luck at Garmin.  If you road trip up to Cedar Rapids give me a shout.  Have fun with your E!  Scott

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tmo said:

I will dare to propose that a well kept grass runway might even be better than a poorly kept hard runway. Unfortunately, well kept grass is expensive - by the time you're done with drainage, reinforcements, etc, etc, the cost isn't much less than asphalt.

I have never landed a Mooney on grass (I'm paranoid about my fragile little gear doors hovering a few cm above the ground), but I'm a huge fan of turf runways in general.

K34 is actually a fantastic little GA airport.  The runways are in good condition and well-maintained, fuel is cheap, hangars are relatively plentiful (and cheap), and the local pilot community is awesome.  They even have a very active VAA chapter with YE flights.

• Like 1

I fly into Downtown pretty regularly. People fly into Downtown because of the fuel prices. The hangars are nice (and they have wifi - or maybe I'm close enough to the pilot's lounge). There are a couple/few Mooneys on the field - and I think that one of them (an E) may have some fancy new cutting edge Garmin stuff in it.

As I'm reading this, I guess that I'm saying "take a close look at Wheeler Downtown, it is a pretty great place."

• Like 2

22 hours ago, toto said:

I have never landed a Mooney on grass (I'm paranoid about my fragile little gear doors hovering a few cm above the ground), but I'm a huge fan of turf runways in general.

K34 is actually a fantastic little GA airport.  The runways are in good condition and well-maintained, fuel is cheap, hangars are relatively plentiful (and cheap), and the local pilot community is awesome.  They even have a very active VAA chapter with YE flights.

Many of my coworkers are active down at Gardner, and I've been spending some time there myself!

On 11/23/2020 at 8:43 AM, Missile=Awesome said:

Great pic!  Love the orientation and your paint.  The Stinger/Butler hook looks great on your bird!  I have a co-owner with relatives in Kansas.  Dad is Chiefs Season Ticket Holder.  We have flown into Downtown for a couple games together.  Good luck at Garmin.  If you road trip up to Cedar Rapids give me a shout.  Have fun with your E!  Scott

Thanks, Scott!  We weren't sure of the Butler hook at first, but it has grown on us.  Let me know if you're ever down this way!  -Kyle

• Like 1