DFW Mooneys

Norf9

Hi all, I’m looking into buying a plane in the next couple of months. Right now I’m looking at t182rg, or a m20k. My mission involves flying into some high DA airports, so a turbo is a must. I have experience flying 172s mainly (although I’ve been a passenger in a 182). Is there anyone in the DFW area that would be willing to let me check out their plane (or go for a ride)?

Thanks,

Ian

• Like 1

Hi @Mcstealth, right now I'm finishing up my ppl. Once this is complete, my goal is to purchase the plane, go through transition training, and then start my IR. My main mission is flying from my home in Dallas up into Colorado on a monthly or bi-monthly basis with the family.  As an aside, I don't plan on actually taking any of these trips until after the IR is done (and even then I'd probably rather go through a mountain flying class before taking the family up). Aside from that I am looking at shorter trips down to Galveston and the occasional trip to Florida.

I've looked into the insurance and ownership/acquisition cost situation and it seems that the Mooneys give you a bit more bang for the buck, but I don't really have any experience with them.

Okay then. @gsxrpilotwill be the one to talk to as he now resides in CO and he will be a wealth of information. @Parker_Woodruff will be the one to confirm or correct what you have heard about insurance. 

As for the Mooney, comparing its performance to a turbo 182, isn't all that difficult.  A 231 K model is where to start looking, minus the more rare Ray Jay modified C-D-E-F model Mooneys. A 231 will out perform any T182. Selecting the right 231 is a more detailed question that the experts here on the forum will answer for you. 

Your first GA plane being a complex, turbo, retract will be a big conversation you will have with some on this board. 

Good luck with everything 

Edited by Mcstealth

It's always a good idea to get the instrument rating, but if you are thinking you can fly into the mountains in IMC, you may want to think twice about doing that in a single engine.  According to my mountain flying instructor, "mountains, IFR, and night; in a single engine plane, pick one... but never two."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

It's always a good idea to get the instrument rating, but if you are thinking you can fly into the mountains in IMC, you may want to think twice about doing that in a single engine.  According to my mountain flying instructor, "mountains, IFR, and night; in a single engine plane, pick one... but never two."

Haha, nope flying IMC in the mountains is not my idea of fun. The instrument rating is more about making sure that I don't get stranded for weeks on end due to low couds.

Just now, Norf9 said:

Haha, nope flying IMC in the mountains is not my idea of fun. The instrument rating is more about making sure that I don't get stranded for weeks on end due to low couds.

Good to hear, I guess I read too much into your comment about getting the instrument rating before making trips to CO.  I would also encourage getting mountain training before venturing into the mountains, but mountain flying is some of the most fun I've had in my Mooney.  Second only to formation flying with good friends.

Welcome aboard Norf!

You have set excellent goals...

Keep in mind for flying experience... a turbo Mooney is similar to having a 4X4... you can still get stuck.... but now you are way deep in the woods when it happens....   :)

If you like flying often, executing training, and learning a whole lot.... go Turbo Mooney...

There is no need to rush... there are plenty of things that befall VFR pilots.... there is another couple of things added to that pile for IFR pilots...

Experience comes over time.... 

So... be extra careful if you are going the fast route to either high powered or turbo Mooneys.... there is just so much to know on top of all the things you need to know to fly safely...

For near DFW pilots... check in with @DonMuncy

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

Welcome aboard @Norf9. As mentioned, I'm in Denver and would be happy to talk with you about mountain flying, high DA, icing, IFR, and anything about flying in this area. Send me a PM and I'll send you my phone number and we can talk. I'm also happy to introduce you to Mooney pilots in the Denver area, rides, etc. My Mooney is in the shop until Jan some time for the mother of all annuals. But I can certainly hook you up with Mooney owners here in Denver.

I can also connect you with Mooney pilots in the Dallas/McKinney area. Since you listed yourself at TKI, I'll be able to add you to the map and send you a link. Look for a PM from me on that.

I'm happy to get on the phone and answer any Mooney questions or mountain flying questions you have.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Welcome aboard @Norf9. As mentioned, I'm in Denver and would be happy to talk with you about mountain flying, high DA, icing, IFR, and anything about flying in this area. Send me a PM and I'll send you my phone number and we can talk. I'm also happy to introduce you to Mooney pilots in the Denver area, rides, etc. My Mooney is in the shop until Jan some time for the mother of all annuals. But I can certainly hook you up with Mooney owners here in Denver.

I can also connect you with Mooney pilots in the Dallas/McKinney area. Since you listed yourself at TKI, I'll be able to add you to the map and send you a link. Look for a PM from me on that.

I'm happy to get on the phone and answer any Mooney questions or mountain flying questions you have.

Thanks Paul, that would be awesome! I'll send you a pm.

• Like 1

@Norf9 I have owned a TR182 and two 231K models.  My thoughts about these aircraft:

Both are good aircraft.  I used the TR182 when I was routinely filling all 4 seats with passengers and their stuff.  Useful load was typically not an issue.  It was a good IFR platform, but is definitely slower than the 231 and had higher fuel consumption.  The TR182 engine has a fixed wastegate on the turbo, so it required more input from the pilot compared with normally aspirated.  I consider the TR182 actually more difficult to land consistently well compared with the 231.  I had problems with the hydraulic-mechanical landing gear system that left the gear stuck in the up or down position several times.

The 231K is a fast and efficient aircraft which is just a lot more fun to fly, compared with the TR182.  I mostly fly by myself or with my wife, and useful load is fine.  It is also a great IFR platform.  The 231K engine also requires more attention compared with normally aspirated, but having the Merlyn Upper Deck Controller and Intercooler helps.  With proper attention to airspeed the 231 is easy to land.

FWIW, when I had the TR182, I couldn't wait until I could sell it and get another Mooney!

• Like 1

Thanks @whiskytango, if you don't mind sharing, what were your useful loads like on the k models? I found some old threads here, and the answers seem to be all over the place. I've been looking at the numbers and anything less than 850/900lbs seems to be pushing it. I don't really plan on flying more than 3 hours at a time (limited by my passenger bladders) but I'm estimating by the time I'd be looking to move up my pax + fuel + reserves are around 850-880lbs.

9 minutes ago, Norf9 said:

Thanks @whiskytango, if you don't mind sharing, what were your useful loads like on the k models? I found some old threads here, and the answers seem to be all over the place. I've been looking at the numbers and anything less than 850/900lbs seems to be pushing it. I don't really plan on flying more than 3 hours at a time (limited by my passenger bladders) but I'm estimating by the time I'd be looking to move up my pax + fuel + reserves are around 850-880lbs.

The useful load on my current K model is 892 lbs.

Norf...

Often the UL on some great X-country machines is a bit small....

Sometimes they are loaded down with huge amounts of avionics from the 80s... or older...

A simple GTN can off load a lot of the boxes in the panel, and other boxes on the back avionics shelf...

M20Ks were such modern travelers... they got loaded with everything back in the day.... some even got a weather radar in the wing...

Best regards,

-a-