Ride in a Mooney

mn_voyageur

I am interested in buying an airplane.  I have 400 hours in 150's to 182 Cessnas.  Some training time in an Archer and a Bonanza.

My flights are typically 700-1,200nm.  Although, I have flown a 182 on a 1,700 nm trip almost across the entire country.

Currently, looking at a Turbo 182. 

I have heard a lot about Mooneys.  How do I locate an owner, who would be willing to take me up?

Thanks,

MarkN

Originally from Minnesota.  We were snowed in for 5 days during my Jr year in high school and told my parents, "I'm heading south for college." 

Ended up pulling time in the military.  (I was not ready to go at this world alone at that point.) Spent all of my time working Avionics.  (C141a and KC10s - Yeah, the fact that I worked on C141s means I'm bald and what hair I have left is gray.)

Currently, I live in NC.  However, I travel a lot for work.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, mn_voyageur said:

I am interested in buying an airplane. . .I have heard a lot about Mooneys.  How do I locate an owner, who would be willing to take me up?

The easy.answer is to put your home base in your avatar, then maybe Edit your post to add the NC city where you are. 

• Like 2

20 Questions? 
Where in NC? What do you have in mind? If you’re looking at a turbo 182, you might also consider a Mooney 231. But do you need the turbo? There are two 20Js and a 20S at my teeny airport, KEDE, which you might look at, but not practical if you’re on the mountain end of the state. Wander out to your closest GA airport and ask around. Mooniacs  are true believers, hopeless proselytizers. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Amelia said:

20 Questions? 
Where in NC? What do you have in mind? If you’re looking at a turbo 182, you might also consider a Mooney 231. But do you need the turbo? There are two 20Js and a 20S at my teeny airport, KEDE, which you might look at, but not practical if you’re on the mountain end of the state. Wander out to your closest GA airport and ask around. Mooniacs  are true believers, hopeless proselytizers. 

A 182 needs a turbo to get close to your average naturally aspirated Mooney.  700 to 1200 nm would be a beating in a 182 even with a turbo. It would be like doing that road trip in an F150 with big mud terrain tires. An M20J would make the trip much quicker and cheaper as well. But so would ANY Mooney in the fleet.

2 hours ago, mn_voyageur said:

Originally from Minnesota.  We were snowed in for 5 days during my Jr year in high school and told my parents, "I'm heading south for college." 

Ended up pulling time in the military.  (I was not ready to go at this world alone at that point.) Spent all of my time working Avionics.  (C141a and KC10s - Yeah, the fact that I worked on C141s means I'm bald and what hair I have left is gray.)

Currently, I live in NC.  However, I travel a lot for work.

Ha! My Dad flew 141As and I have gray hair... I have kids and grandkids in Greensboro, I've been known to fly over there from time to time. I have a "J".

26 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

A 182 needs a turbo to get close to your average naturally aspirated Mooney.  700 to 1200 nm would be a beating in a 182 even with a turbo. It would be like doing that road trip in an F150 with big mud terrain tires. An M20J would make the trip much quicker and cheaper as well. But so would ANY Mooney in the fleet.

@mn_voyageur, even my C will walk away from a 182, and I'm just a lowly 180-hp, "slow" Mooney. And did I say that's at 9 gph?

I've verified 4:45 duration in the air, landing with 1:20 fuel. Twice, so not a fluke. One non-stop into nasty headwinds, one 3-leg flight where my fuel stop's pump wouldn't work. Three takeoffs, three climbs to 7500 / 9500, lots of cruising, three descents and landings, 4:45 cumulative flight time; 41 gals burned. 

Go Mooney!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mn_voyageur said:

I am interested in buying an airplane.  I have 400 hours in 150's to 182 Cessnas.  Some training time in an Archer and a Bonanza.

My flights are typically 700-1,200nm.  Although, I have flown a 182 on a 1,700 nm trip almost across the entire country.

Currently, looking at a Turbo 182. 

I have heard a lot about Mooneys.  How do I locate an owner, who would be willing to take me up?

Thanks,

MarkN

Please excuse my forum mates forgotten manners (except @MooneyMitch who never had any)

Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us albeit mabey for a short time.  Please take a moment to post tell us about yourself. Where you are flying out of, etc, etc. @gsxrpilot has a cool map of most of our forum members so he can help locate a candidate to help with your request. Please fill out your details as mentioned before in your Bio. 

Thanks again for finding us. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome to the forum!  Mooneyspace is the place to go all things Mooney.  I have learned so much from the vast wisdom found in these pages and so will you.  The guys and gals here got me through my ppl in my Mooney and have since got my IFR largely through thoughts and ideas shared here.

19 minutes ago, 201Steve said:

North Carolina is a long state

One end is close to NJ...

The other end is a long trip to a really good MSC...

:)

Thanks go to my favorite aviation author, Amelia... for today’s MS word of the day...

Proselytizer... 

Go Mooney!   (Because you want to... be in the fast lane.  Even if you are flying at Vz...)

Best regards,

-a-