Rocket & Missile experience

Hillndale

On 2/19/2021 at 3:33 PM, MISSILEFLYER said:

EIB1 now has an empty seat that can never be refilled. Hope you had a smooth final flight my silver tongued speaker of truth. You shall be missed. The talent, sadly, was only on loan...

Be in peace with the loaner. We have your back sir. May the golden mic continue to educate, enlighten and deliver the truth.

I'm not sure what just happened or what that means, but I'm still laughing! :D 

Sorry for being late to this thread: We have a few Missile Owners and Rocket owners on here. 4 or 5.

I know of two Missile that are no more (the one that went down in NY (survivors - thread in the accident forum - NY 2019) and the one that had wing damage (I think it was trucked somewhere - it may get rebuilt).

We also have some Rocket's on here including Erik Bolt in his beautifully restored Rocket.

There were I think around 150 Rocket conversions and 55 Missile conversions.

-Seth

On 11/18/2020 at 9:13 PM, carusoam said:

One Missile question came up recently... regarding fuel flow..

The STC for some IO550s may be different than others...

Basic question, related full power CHTs...

What fuel flow do you see at Sea Level during your initial T/O roll and climb?

There are some discussions amongst the O3 powered crowd of 29-30gph, at WOT, 2700rpm... which may be slightly higher than documented...

What do you see? Have you had any difficulty turning up the FF to improve CHTs/cooling...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic... the FF recommendation came from an article about the M20S Screamin’ Eagle...

Best regards,

-a-

I have 2 IO-550-A's in my C310R and have the Sea Level full power FF set to 31 GPH.  It gives you the option of more cooling on those hot days that I see in Vegas.  If you need max power just pull it back to 27-28.  From all my buddies flying the big Conti's it seems that FF of 10% max rated HP works well for cooling.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2021 at 11:27 PM, Seth said:

There were I think around 150 Rocket conversions and 55 Missile conversions.

Those are interesting numbers.  Where did you get them?

I wonder then what the fractions are - does anyone know total how many M20K's and M20J's were built?
E

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

@MISSILEFLYER Scott, see the note from Jeev above, regarding FF on his IO550-As

-a-

Yes.  Somewhat of a source of frustration as I am at the Coni recommended max flow of 26.5gph and can not reach 27-28 per my A&P as he has adjustment to stops...

Just climb at higher rate of speed and sacrifice some climb.  Still 1000-700fpm at 135-150k on high density summer days...

We’re good.

6 hours ago, MISSILEFLYER said:

Yes.  Somewhat of a source of frustration as I am at the Coni recommended max flow of 26.5gph and can not reach 27-28 per my A&P as he has adjustment to stops...

Just climb at higher rate of speed and sacrifice some climb.  Still 1000-700fpm at 135-150k on high density summer days...

We’re good.

I know on my 310 the engine driven fuel pumps draw more fuel than is actually used by the engine and the excess is returned to the tanks. I think all big Conti's are the same?  May be a possibility the the factory Mooney fuel line, selector and rest of the system is not capable of flowing 28GPH plus the excess?  The main fuel line for each engine in my 310 with the same engines are a lot bigger than any line I have seen in a Mooney.  I bet Rocket has the answer and if they say the Mooney system is capable of flowing the increased fuel then I would have your adjustments looked at again.  If I cranked mine to the stops I would have about 40 GPH.  Just some thoughts....... 

Edited by Jeev
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeev said:

I know on my 310 the engine driven fuel pumps draw more fuel than is actually used by the engine and the excess is returned to the tanks. I think all big Conti's are the same and I know the engine in your missile is from a 340 / 414 that does indeed return.  May be a possibility the the factory Mooney fuel line, selector and rest of the system is not capable of flowing 28GPH plus the excess?  The main fuel line in twin Cessnas are a lot bigger than any line I have seen in a Mooney.  I bet Rocket has the answer and if they say the Mooney system is capable of flowing the increased fuel then I would have your adjustments looked at again.  If I cranked mine to the stops I would have about 40 GPH.  Just some thoughts....... 

That's not right.  The missile engine is not from a 340/414 but the rocket engine is from the 340/414 which is the tsio520nb, which is what I have.  My fuel flow max's out at 33gph as currently set.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

That's not right.  The missile engine is not from a 340/414 but the rocket engine is from the 340/414 which is the tsio520nb, which is what I have.  My fuel flow max's out at 33gph as currently set.

Yes thank you I had that backwards and made the edit 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 2:43 PM, MISSILEFLYER said:

That is a weight and balance pro ($5 on apple App Store) ap. Worth it as it is easy to use. 

Great group thanks for your replies 

I am having a hard time finding the right numbers to input for weight and balance. My POH is wimpy. I have called Rocket, no reply. I will keep looking 

7 minutes ago, missile said:

Great group thanks for your replies 

I am having a hard time finding the right numbers to input for weight and balance. My POH is wimpy. I have called Rocket, no reply. I will keep looking 

The Good news...  Both Mooney and Rocket engineering are alive and well...

But, can be hard to get to the right person at times...

Expect that you can get a copy of your documents from both resources... POH from one, STC from the other....

Expect that you can build a WnB document for your plane exactly...  

you may want to have your plane weighed... to be really safe.

Between Mooney and Rocket and your weighing... you will have all of the stations, weight range and numbers to generate an accurate WnB...

Have your tail number and your serial number ready for the conversations...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-