Mooney down near Newton, UT

7 minutes ago, TTaylor said:

A few more details.  I thought maybe they decided to land gear up, but report says gear collapsed.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2020/11/incident-occurred-november-15-2020-near.html

57 minutes ago, TTaylor said:

According to Bartschi, the two occupants of the plane turned off one of the plane’s engines to simulate an engine failure, but the engine wouldn’t start back up when the simulation was completed.

Gotta love that twin-engine Mooney M20B.  (The B stands for 'both engines')

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Does anyone really practice engine out in a piston single by pulling the mixture and/or turning off the ignition?   I'm hesitant to assume that's what actually happened, particularly given the people reporting the events also seem two think the M20B is a twin.

Just now, DXB said:

Does anyone really practice engine in a piston single out by pulling the mixture and/or turning off the ignition?   I'm hesitant to assume that's what actually happened, particularly given the people reporting the events also seem two think the M20B is a twin.

Yeah, I was thinking that may just be newspaper "lost in translation".  Hopefully they didn't actually shut off the engine..

27 minutes ago, steingar said:

Takes a Darwin level of stupidity to take a simulated emergency and turn it into a real one.

Training accidents caused by "simulated" circumstances were extremely common in both the airlines and the military way back when.  These accidents spurred the development of very sophisticated and expensive simulators.  The training accident rate since simulators is now barely noteworthy.

Too bad there are not realistic and affordable Mooney full motion simulators.

Edited by Mooneymite

6 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

Training accidents caused by "simulated" circumstances were extremely common in both the airlines and the military way back when.  These accidents spurred the development of very sophisticated and expensive simulators.  The training accident rate since simulators is now barely noteworthy.

Too bad there are not realistic and affordable Mooney full motion simulators.

This American Airlines 707 training flight immediately came to mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Flight_514

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

This American Airlines 707 training flight immediately came to mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Flight_514

Yeah, but at least they didn't perform any of those death-defying touch and goes!

• Like 2

On 11/17/2020 at 3:53 PM, DXB said:

Does anyone really practice engine out in a piston single by pulling the mixture and/or turning off the ignition?   I'm hesitant to assume that's what actually happened, particularly given the people reporting the events also seem two think the M20B is a twin.

Did I miss where it said that was how the plane was shut down? Either way, I can also envision plugs fouling from prolonged operations with the throttle closed, the mags on and mixture rich. Plugs could foul during a engine out simulation for all the same reasons they do during ground operations. 

There could have been any number of other failures that caused this problem, all unlikely under most circumstances.

There are several posts in this thread suggesting that these guys pooched this (not suggesting that yours is one of them). Seems to me that minor aircraft damage and unscathed occupants is a pretty reasonable outcome given how little is known about the circumstances.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 5

45 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

Did I miss where it said that was how the plane was shut down? Either way, I can also envision plugs fouling from prolonged operations with the throttle closed, the mags on and mixture rich. Plugs could foul during a engine out simulation for all the same reasons they do during ground operations. 

There could have been any number of other failures that caused this problem. All unlikely under most circumstances.

There are several posts in this thread suggesting that these guys pooched this (not suggesting that yours is one of them). Seems to me that minor aircraft damage and unscathed occupants is a pretty reasonable outcome given how little is known about the circumstances.

Original article says " the two occupants of the plane turned off one of the plane’s engines to simulate an engine failure" which is obviously absurd.  Like you, I see little reason here to jump to the conclusion these guys did anything wrong.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, DXB said:

Original article says " the two occupants of the plane turned off one of the plane’s engines to simulate an engine failure" which is obviously absurd.  Like you, I see little reason here to jump to the conclusion these guys did anything wrong.  

We always needs to apply the media translator...After reducing throttle to idle, we were unable to regain power ="Occupants turned off one of the plane's engines but it wouldn't start back up"...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1