aaaaand the aviation gods have spoken

eman1200

16 minutes ago, steingar said:

Was going to go up today, but too windy for my tastes.

I was about 2 weeks into my PPL training and the winds were 20 something gusting to 30 something.  I called my instructor to see if we were still going to fly.  He just laughed and said "If you can't fly in the, you might as well quit now, because you can't fly in Kansas!" 

We also seemed to always have direct crosswinds.  So I asked him one time how they decided what direction to put the runway.  He said "They average the winds and align it accordingly.  Half the time the winds are out of the West, half the time they are from the East, so they average it out and put the runway North and South!  It's a government thing."

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, y2kiah said:

Nice! I'm heading up that way on Thursday. Going to KFQD - Marchman. I'll give you a pirep of how great the flying was. ;)

are u familiar with the area?  there used to be a little burger joint on the field at FQD, I don't know if he's still in business though.  19nm SE of FQD is The Flying Pig, a BBQ joint a short walk from EHO.  44nm SW is The Runway Cafe at GMU with an aviation themed playground for the kids, outdoor seating and you can park right in front of the restaurant.  30nm W is AVL with lots of options all around (will need uber or rental).  those are just a few of the places close to FQD, if u didn't already know.

Not familiar with the area at all other than what I have read about, but I'm really looking forward to this little vacation with the family. We will be in Asheville at least one of the days. Lots of great options for fly-ins in your area, and that Runway Cafe at GMU sounds perfect, we might just have to stop there on our way back if time permits. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

I was about 2 weeks into my PPL training and the winds were 20 something gusting to 30 something.  I called my instructor to see if we were still going to fly.  He just laughed and said "If you can't fly in the, you might as well quit now, because you can't fly in Kansas!" 

Had I a mission, I'd fly it.  Were I headed for better weather I'd fly it.  As it is all I was doing was familiarizing the aircraft to a CFI who's never flown one.  to me doing that in wicked direct crosswinds is a bad idea.  Part of being good pilot is knowing when not to go out and fly.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, steingar said:

Had I a mission, I'd fly it.  Were I headed for better weather I'd fly it.  As it is all I was doing was familiarizing the aircraft to a CFI who's never flown one.  to me doing that in wicked direct crosswinds is a bad idea.  Part of being good pilot is knowing when not to go out and fly.

Amazing, and sad, how you must defend a GOOD decision, ain't it?

On 11/17/2020 at 10:44 AM, skydvrboy said:

We also seemed to always have direct crosswinds.  So I asked him one time how they decided what direction to put the runway.  He said "They average the winds and align it accordingly.  Half the time the winds are out of the West, half the time they are from the East, so they average it out and put the runway North and South!  It's a government thing."

I live in the same area as skydvrboy and I had the same conversation when training, and the same comment about flying in Kansas. Of course this afternoon I did notice the metar was 20037G44 KT. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 4:06 PM, eman1200 said:

plane's in for annual....................

I think it’s a glitch in your weather app or webpage, when they don’t have weather data they load that pattern :lol:

UK BBC weather does the same in London, although their default image is a grey depressing cloud...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1