Dual G5’s in an older style 20E panel

RDuplechin

Does anyone have pictures of dual G5’s installed in an older style (65 M20E) panel?  Specifically, I am wondering if it is possible to mount them over/under as Att Ind/HSI with one on the upper angle and one on the lower angle without having to replace the entire panel with a completely flat one?

There are a few people around with panel drawings for your airplane. As long as the drawing is correct and the panel fits, and you don’t have clearance issues where you want to move the instruments, replacing the panel really isn’t difficult. 

you would be wise to make a long term plan now and cut a panel with that plan in mind. 

• Like 1

There may be limits on mounting the G5's for degree's of tilt I can't remember specifics.  Go with flat panel It makes life easier and look much nicer too.

If  you go Flush mount G5's you will more than likely lose two of 3.125" instruments holes. Leaving you with a total of four   3.125" instruments holes and Center rectangular cut out for the  G5's and still have room for 2.25" instruments holes sorry the image is real blurry.

image.thumb.png.5aa0e7e87ce2e0d614b96b965b2cf56c.png

James '67C

Thank you. The prior owner did the flat panel upgrade, so I am not sure of the costs or downtime.  I know he did take advantage and rewired a lot of the panel at the time, so it was not just putting in the flat panel.  Me and my partner just added the two G5s and the JPI 830 (which we bought used from another forum member here) and that took us about two full weeks of work.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2020 at 12:53 AM, prflyer said:

Here is what ours looks like with flat panel -- but not flush mount.

20201114_131043.thumb.jpg.948fc2a9e2e21a430d243aeda1dc6ee7.jpg

Nice panel! How does it look from the right seat and from the top? Is there a gap between the new panel and the rest of the airframe (e.g. between the left panel and the GTN) or is it covered up with something. I'm curious how that is solved.

7 hours ago, MV Aviation said:

Nice panel! How does it look from the right seat and from the top? Is there a gap between the new panel and the rest of the airframe (e.g. between the left panel and the GTN) or is it covered up with something. I'm curious how that is solved.

Thank you.  Attached is an older photo before the G5 installs, but as you  will see there is no gap. The aluminum bends and covers the gap completely for a finished look.  I believe the panels came from Lasar.

IMG_3067.JPG

• Like 3