damaged elevator , where to buy replacement

dominikos

• dominikos changed the title to damaged elevator , where to buy replacement
2 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

When replacing the elevator, you might consider checking balance of replacement unit prior to installation.

still learning, so perhaps a silly question... what does it mean to check balance? I saw comment about balancing after repainting...

3 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

I don’t recall the quote I received several years ago.  I do recall procurement of another elevator made much more financial sense.  Dodson was my go to vendor.

Are we talking Ruddervator prices? Last time I read they still aren't available but when they are they are they are speculated to cost $10,000+ each.

15 minutes ago, dominikos said:

still learning, so perhaps a silly question... what does it mean to check balance? I saw comment about balancing after repainting...

Lots of super duper technical folks available to us all here on MS, and you might be a beneficiary of one or more of them with your question.   However, I’m not one of them :P

Balancing a flight control unit has to do with flutter.  You don’t want that!

On the Mooney control surfaces, correct balance is done with weight on the outter edge of the unit (or upper if it’s a rudder).

Balance parameters are found in the Mooney service manual for your particular airplane.

The aircraft paint facility I used provided balancing verification after painting the airplanes.

Possibly your local mechanic or FBO can provide this procedure.

8 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

My experience...... skin cost was not an issue..... ‘‘twas the labor cost to install the skin that made my skin crawl... :lol:

How many hours does it take to reskin a flight control on a Mooney?  The only first hand experience I have in flight control reskining was a rudder on a Piper Arrow. It was 9 hours worth of  labor. Removing, reskining, painting (one color) balancing, and installing. I don't know how much the skin cost.