New GPS

201Steve

1 minute ago, 201Steve said:

Quick question for the group. I just had a GTN650 installed. Have not picked it up yet. Does Garmin load any NAV data from factory? Or do I need to get the data card updated before I leave? How does that normally work?

In my experience Garmin gives you a data card with the first month free before you need to buy/add it to your subscription.

Edited by Davidv
  • Like 2

If you fly ifr, you would benefit by having a$299 subscription to the nav data...updates every 28 days...13 per year....also purchase FS510...that enables you to send & update flight plans back and forth between ipad and the 650.  FS510 doesn’t require installation...it replaces you traditional SD card....plug in the FS510, and it is a Bluetooth device, wi-fi and a data card all in one.  If you want terrain to work on your Garmin, you must load your current copy of terrain to the FS510 which needs to be done by a “powered” card reader (not part of most laptops)

to wirelessly update the 650 you need garmin pilot (basic) about $70 a year, but is included for first year of the purchase of a 650.  This gives you the ability to download the nav data to your iPad, then transfer it to you 650 wirelessly....if you go this route, let me know and I will tell you how to make the loading of the nav data to be seam less...

• Like 1