Leather Covers for my Control Yokes

I also sent mine to Aero Comfort about 4 years ago and could not be happier. They’re not cheap but quality comes at a price.  Definitely worth the money. Looking at my invoice from May 2016 I paid $850 for the custom leather wrapped yokes with black and gray leather. I also had the glare shield done for $400.  They really did a great job.

74966425-EE69-480E-9D5B-D66667D3A768.jpeg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, ZuluZulu said:

You guys are wasting Hector's talents on all these black-on-black-on-black control wheels!

Add a little color, live a little.  :D

IMG_7641.jpeg

That looks great.  I got black leather from Hector - love it because it is so clean and professional and feels great and luxurious when your hands are on them.  But if I had seen your yokes - if I had the idea - maybe I would have done that because the camel colored leather you have would match the the rest of the leather I did in the seats.

BTW - where did you get that strap?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ZuluZulu said:

You guys are wasting Hector's talents on all these black-on-black-on-black control wheels!

Add a little color, live a little.  :D

IMG_7641.jpeg

Really nice panel.  We installed our 830 on pilot side.  Yours would TOTALLY fit great in landscape right of the altimeter.  Love the light panel background and the multi-color yokes.  VERY tasteful.  Enjoy!  :) 

0D3AF60A-3A93-46F4-96F2-63BC40E6225A.jpeg

On 11/11/2020 at 2:20 AM, NotarPilot said:

I also had the glare shield done for $400.  They really did a great job.

7 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

This thread reminded me I should get Hector to do my glare shield while I'm down for annual and all the other things.

@Speed MerchantThis ^^^

If your glare shield is at all not on a par with the panel you are having installed, do this now while it is down for avionics.

7 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

That looks great.  I got black leather from Hector - love it because it is so clean and professional and feels great and luxurious when your hands are on them.  But if I had seen your yokes - if I had the idea - maybe I would have done that because the camel colored leather you have would match the the rest of the leather I did in the seats.

BTW - where did you get that strap?

I found this at Aircraft Spruce, but wasn’t sure of the right one to order due to additional options that were available then (I don’t see them now). They put me in touch with the vendor directly and I ordered from them, but I don’t remember their name now. Somewhere in the PNW.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/atcontrollocks-mooney.php?clickkey=466252

5 minutes ago, ZuluZulu said:

I found this at Aircraft Spruce, but wasn’t sure of the right one to order due to additional options that were available then (I don’t see them now). They put me in touch with the vendor directly and I ordered from them, but I don’t remember their name now. Somewhere in the PNW.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/atcontrollocks-mooney.php?clickkey=466252

That looks nice.  Does it hold the yokes well from moving?  Does it cause your nice leather to wear pre-maturely?

I have a thing that works very effectively but it is a bit of a pain to put on so I usually only put it on if I am going to be there for a few days or I know for sure some big wind/storm may be coming.  It clamps on to the actual bar of the yoke and grasps between the bar on both yokes directly.

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

That looks nice.  Does it hold the yokes well from moving?  Does it cause your nice leather to wear pre-maturely?

I have a thing that works very effectively but it is a bit of a pain to put on so I usually only put it on if I am going to be there for a few days or I know for sure some big wind/storm may be coming.  It clamps on to the actual bar of the yoke and grasps between the bar on both yokes directly.

It seems to, but my plane was only on the ramp for a month until I was able to get a hangar so it didn't see many gusts.  I give it a good tug to check, seems to hold it pretty well.  You have to find somewhere to attach the little L-shaped bracket it snaps onto -- I just used one of the screws at the bottom of the radio stack.

Can't speak to the leather wear; I've only had the leather for a couple months and the control lock even shorter than that.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ZuluZulu said:

I use a couple of short bungee cords from Harbor Freight slung around the yoke handles in a similar manner to keep the ailerons from flapping in the wind when the plan it outside. It has worked for years and I park it outside a lot on a ramp with helicopters when she takes me to work.

3 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

I use a couple of short bungee cords from Harbor Freight slung around the yoke handles in a similar manner to keep the ailerons from flapping in the wind when the plan it outside. It has worked for years and I park it outside a lot on a ramp with helicopters when she takes me to work.

Its not the strap alone that I see in the picture - there is a side strap that is pinning to the throttle quadrant that seems like it really stills it even more.

I have a thing I will take a picture of that is a solid bar that really locks the two yokes together 100% rigid.