Garmin 430W configuration issues

Mark89114

I had the MSC swap #1 430 to #2 position due to the enter button becoming less user friendly, it still works but you have to press it just right.  So being a CB the thought was to swap the radios as this should buy me XX more years before investment decisions have to be made.  The problem is #2 is the master, it crossfills from there to #1 and the #1 is lacking some functionality on the approach side, the menu option to enable "analog to digital AP outputs" is missing.  #1 position drives the autopilot and there is no #1/#2 select switch.  I wonder how many other config items are missing?  I specifically asked the question does anything need to be done, answer was just "swap them".   Apparently that was wrong...…  How hard is it to figure out and configure via telephone or does it require some special magic boxes for interfacing?

The shop should know better than to tell you to just swap them. The easiest way to reconfigure, is to have both boxes in configuration mode, then swap settings from #1 to #2 on each page. It's always a good idea to take a set of photos of each page on each unit so you have a record of the settings. There is supposed to be a record of the settings in the installation paperwork, but most shops don't fill those out.

Intermittent buttons will eventually stop working altogether, at the worst time possible. Same with the rotary knobs. I'd send it in to Garmin for the flat rate repair. They fix anything that you squawk, and everything that shows up on the bench test, for about $1700.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mark89114 said:

I had the MSC swap #1 430 to #2 position due to the enter button becoming less user friendly, it still works but you have to press it just right.  So being a CB the thought was to swap the radios as this should buy me XX more years before investment decisions have to be made.  The problem is #2 is the master, it crossfills from there to #1 and the #1 is lacking some functionality on the approach side, the menu option to enable "analog to digital AP outputs" is missing.  #1 position drives the autopilot and there is no #1/#2 select switch.  I wonder how many other config items are missing?  I specifically asked the question does anything need to be done, answer was just "swap them".   Apparently that was wrong...…  How hard is it to figure out and configure via telephone or does it require some special magic boxes for interfacing?

However, on the bright side, Im pretty sure you can get to all the config pages yourself without special black boxes.  Take pictures before changing them...  I believe you have to turn on the unit while holding enter key (hopefully it works good enough for that).  After that it’s pretty easy to cycle through the pages.

• Like 1

Took it to the avionics shop and for $100 they were able to dig into the menus enough to get it straightened out.  One of the menus options was pretty obscure and hidden.  I probably could have spent 3 hours working on it.  Irks me that I had to have this done anyway.      

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mark89114 said:

Took it to the avionics shop and for $100 they were able to dig into the menus enough to get it straightened out.  One of the menus options was pretty obscure and hidden.  I probably could have spent 3 hours working on it.  Irks me that I had to have this done anyway.      

That's a pretty cheap visit to the avionics shop! ;)