Question about power settings

Glen Davis

To demonstrate Mark’s knowledge...

Take the Chevy out, put it in high gear, while near idle power... it will cruise about 40mph and garner 30mpg...

Where its usual mileage is about 20mpg... (four speed auto, with an LT1 350)

Just remember, if you want to accelerate, or go uphill, it is going to take a lower gear... before stepping on the gas pedal...

We have procedures to follow when changing rpm and MP... for the health and safety of the engine...

Best regards,

-a-

Every time I read these detailed posts about power settings I’m blow away by the knowledge here.. I have a m20m. (1998) with about 450 hrs on the engine.  Its seems to be getting pretty good oil reports from the testing company but I admit I burn about a quart of oil every 8 to 10 hours. I keep the oil at 8 regardless, never less. Biut when I read these posts I always wonder if I’m using power correctly

my sop is( and I try to stay as consistent as possible )

full power at T/O. Mp can be around 36-37.3 for the first 1000 feet

immediately reduce to 34 / 2400-2500 initial climb  cf open and maintain this at full rich until cruise  . This uses allot of fuel but keeps things cool

then cruise climb 30- 32 at 2400 ( if some intermediate change or request for atc) , 110-130 cf open

I was told to cruise at 29/2400 my engine monitor says 75% ( ff around 18 on average)

I always lean to max 1650 cf closed but I have a hard time keeping my cht below 400  my #2 and #4 seem to get to 410ish

I was told that the type of transducers I have can over read a bit by about 20 degrees

So that’s how I do thing   .... anyone find major faults with this 

Pete

53 minutes ago, pkofman said:

Every time I read these detailed posts about power settings I’m blow away by the knowledge here.. I have a m20m. (1998) with about 450 hrs on the engine.  Its seems to be getting pretty good oil reports from the testing company but I admit I burn about a quart of oil every 8 to 10 hours. I keep the oil at 8 regardless, never less. Biut when I read these posts I always wonder if I’m using power correctly

my sop is( and I try to stay as consistent as possible )

full power at T/O. Mp can be around 36-37.3 for the first 1000 feet

immediately reduce to 34 / 2400-2500 initial climb  cf open and maintain this at full rich until cruise  . This uses allot of fuel but keeps things cool

then cruise climb 30- 32 at 2400 ( if some intermediate change or request for atc) , 110-130 cf open

I was told to cruise at 29/2400 my engine monitor says 75% ( ff around 18 on average)

I always lean to max 1650 cf closed but I have a hard time keeping my cht below 400  my #2 and #4 seem to get to 410ish

I was told that the type of transducers I have can over read a bit by about 20 degrees

So that’s how I do thing   .... anyone find major faults with this 

Pete

@donkayeis probably the best person to ask for the Bravo as he has had one for a long time.