Seventeenth Annual is now done

I am on the train between Ottawa and Kitchener to pick up my Mooney for the seventeenth time since the year I bought her.  The first time was for the combo PPI/annual done in Sep/Nov 2004.  That shop has done all sixteen annuals since then. 

Tomorrow, they are opening up the shop for me to do a test flight. Muscle memory needs exercising before I fly her home. Systems need checking.  And the weather is perfect until Monday afternoon.  Severe clear below 12,000’ is the forecast. So no icing to worry about at altitude.  

This time, it has taken significantly longer because of a backlog on getting parts from a supplier. In the end, I will have a markedly improved interior, to compliment the other improvements I have made in 16 years of ownership.  Even though I am approaching my 68th birthday, I am looking at things in the same way as Bob Belville.  As long as I can fly it safely, it is worth the investment to make it better.  And that is what motivates me to write today. Investment. 

My maintainer’s invoice is an investment in the airworthiness of my 55 year-old aluminium wonder machine. The one that puts my girl to sleep within 5 minutes after rotation.  In this regard, I am grateful for being married to her and for my Mooney.  And the maintainer who works  on it like my life depends on it. 

Because it does.  

I need him to stay in business tomorrow, next week, next month, and next year. For as long as I own my Mooney.  I have stayed out of the “mechanics charge too much” discussions that occasionally come up, because what counts for me is competence, over everything  else.  Add integrity to that, and I will do business with those folks for as long as I can afford it.  When I can’t anymore, I will change hobbies.  

I have been in the business of formally recognising competence since shortly after I retired from active duty in 1993.  That is what I see every time I walk into that shop.  Competence is what I wish to underpin the maintenance work on my Mooney.  

Tomorrow, I get to fly my Mooney again for one more year and that Is worth the investment I make.  

But that is just me

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Congrats on the fresh bill of health...

Ned, does your forever plane have a name?  :)

Best regards,

-a-

When I was a partner in a '69 PA 180 R Arrow, her callsign was C-GDBE and we called her Debbie.  Since the Mooney was my replacement for Debbie and her callsign was C-FSWR, and the previous owner called her Swear, I had not picked a name.  I was not cool with Swear.  Then about 10 years ago, my bride (her name is Ute - pronounced Ooo-tay) decided to call her Baby.  The implication I wanted to avoid was the idea that I was in love with the Mooney - not so.  That is reserved for Ute, but I let it go. 

So I do not use the name much, except when reciting this story.  Since you asked, I guess her name is "Baby."  But it was Ute's idea.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

I’ve been doing owner annuals for the last 20 years now. The benefit is that I almost never find anything surprising. 

-Robert 

I envy you sir.  I am an engineer who has come to the realization that I should never fly anything I fix and I should never fix anything I fly.  My techs used to tell me to put my hands in my pockets when I walked into their shop (and not touch anything).  I still remember my senior tech sergeant describing me as a fellow good with a slide rule (or calculator) and not-so-good with a screwdriver.  Clarence will tell you the same - as I have participated in more than one of those seventeen annual events.  

And so, I have learned to sell my strengths and buy my weaknesses.  I have taken soldiers into bad places and commanded sailing vessels on the Atlantic Ocean, but I still have a habit of stripping the screws on the underwing panels.  

I wish I had your patience with tools and handwork.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Made it home today in 1:35 doing 165 kts plus (had a pretty good tailwind).  Great weather. 

780427969_WaterlootoRockcliffeFlight.thumb.jpg.b36fb729cb7ed742b120e038aba002db.jpg

And now we have a better airplane with the new(ish) interior.  Thanks to Alan for getting me the seats and what hardware he could reach.  Thanks to Paul Loewen for the parts Alan could not reach.  Airtex for the new carpets, even though it took them six weeks, and the guys in the shop for putting it all together.

I had David's seat back knobs installed on the new seats. And finally, it turns out there were zero surprises this annual (except for the side panels needing some work to be re-used).

Baby is now home.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 2:36 PM, Ned Gravel said:

I am on the train between Ottawa and Kitchener to pick up my Mooney

Damn,  I was in Clarence's shop when I picked up a new battery on Friday.  I've just been flying here and there for something to do during this incredible spell of great weather.

If I'd known you were headed back here, I would have picked you up....

59 minutes ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Damn,  I was in Clarence's shop when I picked up a new battery on Friday.  I've just been flying here and there for something to do during this incredible spell of great weather.

If I'd known you were headed back here, I would have picked you up....

Thanks Cyril:

Clarence let me know it was ready at around 10:30 am or so on Friday. I went hunting for options. I pulled the trigger on Via Rail by 11:15 or so.  If I had known you were available to fly to Rockcliffe to pick me up, I might have taken you up on the offer.  

Clarence and Stew were thinking the same thing, but life got in the way. Another ride in a Twink or the 400?  Who can say “no” to that?