Pulling cabin panels

mkrakoff

Hey all, I am thinking of pulling the lower side cabin panels on my J bc I, like many of you, have a lingering fuel smell when I first open up the cabin door. I don’t see any carpet stains, but I’m betting the sender gaskets or tube is leaking. Are there any particular recommendations on tools, techniques, or tricks to removing the panel? I ask because I’d like to show up prepared, instead of my usual running home for something I’m missing what I really needed to do the job right. Thanks!

Edited by mkrakoff

Most of the panels can be removed with a screw driver and it just takes patience when putting it back together.  The copilot side on my K has a riveted strip that overlaps the door.  Bring a drill to get it out and some pop rivets to put it back in.  (EDIT:  Apparently this side panel can be removed without taking out the strip - see below.)

If you have oxygen, the fitting on the pilots panel is a bit of a project.  There is a specialty tool that makes it easier to remove the bezel around the pressure gage and the fitting around the oxygen port.  Also need an allen wrench to take of the oxygen knob - I don’t think they had these in 78.

Good luck.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Warren said:

If you have oxygen, the fitting on the pilots panel is a bit of a project.  There is a specialty tool that makes it easier to remove the bezel around the pressure gage and the fitting around the oxygen port.  

I have the oxygen system from a 1998 Ovation in my F.  What is the "special tool" used to remove the bezel around the pressure gauge?

John Breda

6 hours ago, Warren said:

Most of the panels can be removed with a screw driver and it just takes patience when putting it back together.  The copilot side on my K has a riveted strip that overlaps the door.  Bring a drill to get it out and some pop rivets to put it back in.

If you have oxygen, the fitting on the pilots panel is a bit of a project.  There is a specialty tool that makes it easier to remove the bezel around the pressure gage and the fitting around the oxygen port.  Also need an allen wrench to take of the oxygen knob - I don’t think they had these in 78.

Good luck.

NO!   On my M20J which should be the same, you can leave the riveted door strips in place and the carpet can sweep under and away as long as the copilots seat is removed...leave your drill and rivet gun in your tool box!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

I have the oxygen system from a 1998 Ovation in my F.  What is the "special tool" used to remove the bezel around the pressure gauge?

John Breda

I looked online and could not find it.  It looks like a channel lock with thin curved and padded gripping jaws.  I am not sure where the local shop got it.  The other tool they had was basically a round tube with rubber on the face.  It was also useful on the oxygen ports - apparently this is used for the interior bezels on Cessna jets.

Whelp, the good news is that I was able to get behind the panels with a camera without actual removing them. The bad news is, it's not the gaskets, it's both tanks and it's along the bottom seam and spar. Unfortunately, not caught on the prebuy. A full reseal is already scheduled, but at least it's the only surprise so far since the purchase. I keep reminding myself of how great a machine it is and how much fun we've had to make me forget about the extra out of pocket $.

Edited by mkrakoff
  • Like 1