Pulled the trigger on an IO390 upgrade...

bmcconnaha

Looking for a few things to start the prep work. 
1- copy of the STC (hoping to read through it and see what modifications need to be done. Sounds very similar to the a3b6 changeover.  
2- copy of the POH supplement.  I’m going to upgrade my JPI 830 and they will need that to set it up for me.  

if anyone has those two docs, I’d be grateful.  I’m excited.  The quote was less than the 360 and Lycoming is allowing their EIS for one of the mags at no cost.  Looking forward to getting started 

• Like 4

Just now, bluehighwayflyer said:

Cool.  Is the installation of a Hartzell blended airfoil prop still required by the STC?

Jim

Yessir.  But, the prop shop I use offered my what amounts to a trade of my 214 prop to the hartzell for $7500 diff.  I had a new prop lined up no matter what way I went.  I was going MT if I went IO360.  

19 minutes ago, bmcconnaha said:

Yessir.  But, the prop shop I use offered my what amounts to a trade of my 214 prop to the hartzell for $7500 diff.  I had a new prop lined up no matter what way I went.  I was going MT if I went IO360.  

What’s the cost of that prop outright? I might be interested in the 214. The io390 is like 3kt faster than the 360. And the Hartzell BA prop on a io360 is 3kt faster. The 390 at 75% power is 2.5HP more than an IO360. 

5 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

What’s the cost of that prop outright? I might be interested in the 214. The io390 is like 3kt faster than the 360. And the Hartzell BA prop on a io360 is 3kt faster. The 390 at 75% power is 2.5HP more than an IO360. 

10k.  Lycoming wants less for the 390 than the 360.  And cylinder prices are essentially the same.  The most common reasons I heard for the not doing the upgrade were: cylinder prices.  Debunked.  Prop needed.  Planned that anyhow, and finally cost.  This engine is 1k less than the 360a3b6.  Seems like a no brainer... hopefully it turns out 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Need a C212 ? It should work with your serial number !

15 minutes ago, OR75 said:

Here is the link to the STC . I have the install manual somewhere but need to find it 

https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgSTC.nsf/0/3d4b7bcbe01b72fa86257d0a005e0697/$FILE/SA09695AC.pdf

awesome thanks.  Looks like no RPM restrictions on the 2 blade :) 

As far as installation is concerned ... going from IO360A3B6D to IO390 is the same as if you go to an IO360A3B6 ... the accessories panel is the same ... so you will need those brackets for the governor etc ... 

there is a good illustrated thread on the conversion on this site 

3 minutes ago, OR75 said:

As far as installation is concerned ... going from IO360A3B6D to IO390 is the same as if you go to an IO360A3B6 ... the accessories panel is the same ... so you will need those brackets for the governor etc ... 

there is a good illustrated thread on the conversion on this site 

I’ve looked that over a time or two.  I figured if I was going through he hassle, why not try it out.  What’s your oil temps and CHT temps like? 

• 3 weeks later...
Thats great it lasted so long. Any cylinders or repairs along the way? 

Top overhaul along the way. I think I bought the plane accordingly. I was mainly after the low total time since I’m planning on a full restore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...