How do I clean/change my oil screen?

I have been searching online for guides or videos on how to clean/change the oil screen for my Mooney but I cannot find anything with much detail or information.  

My airplane is a 1965 Mooney M20C with a 180HP 0-360 engine. It’s been 37 hours since we put on a new cylinder and added mineral oil for the break in period. 

1 hour ago, TravelVeteran said:

I have been searching online for guides or videos on how to clean/change the oil screen for my Mooney but I cannot find anything with much detail or information.  

My airplane is a 1965 Mooney M20C with a 180HP 0-360 engine. It’s been 37 hours since we put on a new cylinder and added mineral oil for the break in period. 

@AGL Aviationposted a video a while back, maybe Tamara can post it again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TravelVeteran said:

Do you mean the filter or the suction screen?   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Ah, several of us assumed you had an oil filter and were asking about the suction screen. But, it seems you are asking about the pressure screen. Maybe a picture will help.

httpswww.lycoming.comsitesdefaultfilesO-360-A20Parts20Catalog20PC-306-1_pdf.thumb.png.b50e9677776c673578a6ecc593390e8b.png

Is the gasket I ordered part of the oil screen assembly that AGL Aviation posted in the videos from the other thread? 

from what I understand:

1. Cut the safety wire on the bolt holding the tubular shaped oil screen 

2. loosen the bolt and remove the oil screen assembly 

3. Empty out the oil screen for any metal pieces and check with magnet

4. After screen is clean, put back, tighten bolt, safety wire it 

not sure where the gasket fits in all this, or how/when to replace it. looks like it’s behind the entire assembly that holds the tubular shaped oil screen into place with 4 bolts?

also, the photo above shows what looks like twist on oil filters. I am pretty sure my engine does not have that, but it’s an upgrade option?

the tubular oil screen in the videos looks like it has quite large holes in it and won’t catch most small metal particles.  Is that what this gasket piece does? Catch the smaller particulate matter?

14 minutes ago, TravelVeteran said:

Is the gasket I ordered part of the oil screen assembly that AGL Aviation posted in the videos from the other thread? 

from what I understand:

1. Cut the safety wire on the bolt holding the tubular shaped oil screen 

2. loosen the bolt and remove the oil screen assembly 

3. Empty out the oil screen for any metal pieces and check with magnet

4. After screen is clean, put back, tighten bolt, safety wire it 

not sure where the gasket fits in all this, or how/when to replace it. looks like it’s behind the entire assembly that holds the tubular shaped oil screen into place with 4 bolts?

also, the photo above shows what looks like twist on oil filters. I am pretty sure my engine does not have that, but it’s an upgrade option?

the tubular oil screen in the videos looks like it has quite large holes in it and won’t catch most small metal particles.  Is that what this gasket piece does? Catch the smaller particulate matter?

No, the vid is for the suction screen, which is much more difficult to do (hence the vid), and which does not need to be done every oil change.   The gasket you have is for the pressure screen, which is essentially the oil filter if you do not have a spin-on oil filter.   Presumably you do not if you've been directed to get a gasket for a pressure screen assembly.   The pressure screen and gasket are circled in the IPC page that was posted, and are on the rear of the engine.    The suction screen is much lower, near the bottom of the oil sump at the bottom of the rear of the engine, and I wouldn't worry about that one for now.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TV,

You definitely want to mention that you are working closely with your mechanic on this...   :)

The screen catches a bunch of chunks... carbon build-up that gets loose and flows downstream... and metal bits that get shaved off and move along with the oil...

A filter system can be added to make life a bit nicer for your engine... many MSers have added these... there are threads around here that cover the details...

As far as a gasket acting like a filter... that’s where you ask your mechanic..... (I must have misunderstood something) :)

PP thoughts only, my O360 had the finger screen, but not a spin on filter....

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

No, the vid is for the suction screen, which is much more difficult to do (hence the vid), and which does not need to be done every oil change.   The gasket you have is for the pressure screen, which is essentially the oil filter if you do not have a spin-on oil filter.   Presumably you do not if you've been directed to get a gasket for a pressure screen assembly.   The pressure screen and gasket are circled in the IPC page that was posted, and are on the rear of the engine.    The suction screen is much lower, near the bottom of the oil sump at the bottom of the rear of the engine, and I wouldn't worry about that one for now.   

Great explanation, thank you. Yes,  I do not have a spin on filter. 

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

TV,

You definitely want to mention that you are working closely with your mechanic on this...   :)

The screen catches a bunch of chunks... carbon build-up that gets loose and flows downstream... and metal bits that get shaved off and move along with the oil...

A filter system can be added to make life a bit nicer for your engine... many MSers have added these... there are threads around here that cover the details...

As far as a gasket acting like a filter... that’s where you ask your mechanic..... (I must have misunderstood something) :)

PP thoughts only, my O360 had the finger screen, but not a spin on filter....

Best regards,

-a-

Yes I don’t plan to do anything without an A&P, until I’m fully trained on how to do it all! 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TravelVeteran said:

Yes I don’t plan to do anything without an A&P, until I’m fully trained on how to do it all! 

That particular screen is in a really tough place... 

You can tell how much Mooney experience your mechanic has with this one... :)

Best regards,

-a-