Master switch left on...

231MJ

54 minutes ago, Greg_D said:

I'm curious about the folks who say to leave the strobes on.  Do you do this at night too?  If so, what do those around you think about the practice?

My C doesn't have strobes, but I'm not sure I can remember my last night landing with another occupied plane at the airport . . . .

22 hours ago, MikeOH said:

I left the master on as a student back in 1977.  I was in high school and was paying $15/hr wet with instructor.  I was making $3/hr, so 5 hours work for one hour flight.  The school charged me $25 for my mistake.

Knock on wood, but I've NEVER left the master on in the intervening 43 years!

Nearly two flight hour rate for the battery running?! That’s robbery I would politely suggested where they could shove it.  =)

1 hour ago, Hank said:

My C doesn't have strobes, but I'm not sure I can remember my last night landing with another occupied plane at the airport . . . .

Sounds like it would work for you.  What about people who live in populated areas with busy airports?

7 hours ago, Ibra said:

Like many, I do leave the strobes ON (it drains fast if you don’t notice :lol:) and I also flip the stall warner before walking away (that counts as an extra landing in my logbook :lol:)

I don't usually leave the strobes on, but I accidentally did one evening in Madison, Wisconsin. The next morning, I got a call from Larry "Joker" Brennan telling me my strobes were flashing. I hadn't left the master on; my master was malfunctioning. Sometime after I had left the airport, the strobes had started flashing. That's how I got the name "Flash." (Fortunately, the battery was OK.)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 201Steve said:

Nearly two flight hour rate for the battery running?! That’s robbery I would politely suggested where they could shove it.  =)

Well, I have to figure they lost the two hours the next renter who found the battery dead would have spent with them, plus having to have their mechanic recharge, plus it may have shortened the battery's life.

I was still in high school and apparently wasn't mature enough, yet, to have told them to put it where the sun don't shine.

It stung bad...but, it appears the lesson has stuck pretty well!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Flash said:

I don't usually leave the strobes on, but I accidentally did one evening in Madison, Wisconsin. The next morning, I got a call from Larry "Joker" Brennan telling me my strobes were flashing. I hadn't left the master on; my master was malfunctioning. Sometime after I had left the airport, the strobes had started flashing. That's how I got the name "Flash." (Fortunately, the battery was OK.)

See, it works!  If they weren’t on your battery would have likely been toast next time you went to fly!

1 hour ago, Greg_D said:

Sounds like it would work for you.  What about people who live in populated areas with busy airports?

Everyone just leaves their strobes on taxiing around the airport and in the hangar area.  Why is that an issue?  The only time at night I turn off the strobes is when I'm within 100' of another airplane on the ground.   The AIM only suggests turning them off if they will impair the vision of other pilots, and suggests leaving them on on the ground otherwise.

On 11/4/2020 at 6:21 PM, 231MJ said:

I did a simple on-field relocation last week and left the master switch on for a few hours.  I was in a hurry.  This resulted in the battery being too weak to start.  Embarrassing and a pain in the butt.   Have any of you installed a device to remind you that the master is on?  Buzzer based master being on and no oil pressure?  LED in prominent location when the master is on?  I realize getting field approval might be difficult (impossible) but I'm interested to know if there is a solution - other than religious use of the shut-down check list.  

August

Leave your nav and strobe lights on ALWAYS!!!!

4 hours ago, Greg_D said:

I'm curious about the folks who say to leave the strobes on.  Do you do this at night too?  If so, what do those around you think about the practice?

Who cares

4 CFR 91.209(b) says that if you have an anti-collision light system installed, it needs to be used (day or night) unless the pilot deems it unsafe (taxiing, fog, etc.).

6 minutes ago, Austintatious said:

Who cares

4 CFR 91.209(b) says that if you have an anti-collision light system installed, it needs to be used (day or night) unless the pilot deems it unsafe (taxiing, fog, etc.).

I would say that blinding other pilots near you with strobe lights or taxi lights for that matter, is unsafe.

• Like 3

White Strobes on the ground can be blinding... so let’s not do that with other people around...

Strobes also effect a certain portion of the population... so let’s be kind to that certain portion... (light sensitive, migraines, and other assorted issues)

Why the red strobe doesn’t seem to be as challenging...  let me know..?

PP thoughts only, not a doctor...

Best regards,

-a-

10 minutes ago, Greg_D said:

I would say that blinding other pilots near you with strobe lights or taxi lights for that matter, is unsafe.

Obviously that wouldn't be good... That being said... do you really think a strobe is going to BLIND anyone?  I mean if the other pilot stares straight at it maybe.

have you ever been blinded by the aircraft in front of you that just turned on their strobes for takeoff?

ANd BTW, just so y'all know I am not being stubborn... I rarely fly at night and do in fact turn my strobes off as I pull into the ramp just because they annoy me.  I always leave my Nav lights on though just so I don't forget the master.  

3 minutes ago, Austintatious said:

Obviously that wouldn't be good... That being said... do you really think a strobe is going to BLIND anyone?  I mean if the other pilot stares straight at it maybe.

There are a few people on the planet that get affected more than others...

There are always warnings on products with flashing lights... so the issue is real...

Being young and not having any physical issues is a certain freedom that is hard to appreciate, until things don’t work so well with age...

Then there are those certain disabilities that don’t require getting old...

’blindness’ is usually temporary, but why do that to another pilot who is getting ready to take off...

Inducing headaches, or epilepsy episode issues are typical flashing light challenges...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Austintatious said:

If you read 91.209, the portion you mentioned applies to the use of  lights while in flight.  Earlier in the section is the discussion about position lights, etc. while on the ground.

And while not regulatory, the AIM does mention the use of strobe lights on the ground. I think the guidance there is pretty clear.  Either way, I’d wager that a majority of professional pilots will say they have been trained to leave the strobes off, except when on or moving across a runway.  And taxi lights stay off when pointing at another aircraft on the ground or when not moving.

AC4C209C-D6A1-4913-B7CB-F985D1A0A38D.jpeg

3540C726-A093-49FF-BF46-956FCF0CF1D0.jpeg

• Like 3

The strobe thing is pertinent for those of us who are blessed to be devoid of beacons.    My airplane came from the factory without a beacon and has never had one since.

So some of us can't leave the beacon on as a master-on warning.

I still leave the strobes off on the ground as much as I can since I do consider it a safety/annoyance thing if they're on while taxiing or parking.   Fortunately my TC has been sufficient warning so far to not leave the master on, but I also usually visually check the position of the master switch before I close the door when leaving the airplane.   

It's kind of interesting how everybody adapts differently to try to remember this stuff.

Go look at big airports at night  :-)   Many have strobes on while taxiing 

One could always have an A&P wire in a large (8MM) bright LED to mount on the glare shield (or any where else) wired to the hot buss. Quick, cheap easy. they even make blinking ones!!!! 

14 hours ago, 231MJ said:

MS is great!  You guys have provided some good ideas.  

In my situation, Coy Jacobs took the rotating beacon off about 20 years ago to gain 0.3 kts of speed and I don't want to put it back on at this point.  The turn coordinator did help remind me about the master switch, especially when the bearings were going bad, but it's gone now with the new glass panel.  Leaving the strobes on is a great idea, I'm gonna try it.

We also leave the stobes on, works well especially in the hanger.  My problem now is the children plays with the rear interior light (wired after the master switch), and you can't see the switch or the light (in day time) from outside. 

Edited by Johnny_SA
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Flash said:

I hadn't left the master on; my master was malfunctioning. Sometime after I had left the airport, the strobes had started flashing. That's how I got the name "Flash." (Fortunately, the battery was OK.)

Haha, I do know Mooneys have some electric gremlins and elfs buzzing around from time to time (mostly due to design of the switches) but that only happens when the master switch is ON and the pilot is sitting on the seats :D your case is far more hopeless, any A&P will insist on watching those CCTV footages :lol:

Edited by Ibra
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Greg_D said:

I think the guidance there is pretty clear.  Either way, I’d wager that a majority of professional pilots will say they have been trained to leave the strobes off, except when on or moving across a runway.  And taxi lights stay off when pointing at another aircraft on the ground or when not moving.

A highlight moment of my night flying, I was asked by ATC to line up and hold on the runway after an airliner just landed, then the B737 was backtracking to vacate to some mid-point taxi while me and student were waiting for those 3 min of wake separation, the airliner pilots did the gentlemen move of switching their taxi/landing/strobe lights off and we followed their example 

I do get uneasy with strobes reflection on ground surfaces or flying in clouds and I tend to switch them off
I also get uneasy with propeller turning with sunshine and windshield glare but I don't have the courage to take action yet :lol:

Edited by Ibra
  • Like 2

I'm in the strobes on while crossing or taking the runway for departure camp.  Back off when exiting the runway after landing.    Take off clearance- strobes on, landing light on.  Approach clearance received-taxi lights on.   Landing clearance- landing light on.   Never wonder if I received a takeoff or landing clearance.  :)

11 minutes ago, slowflyin said:

I'm in the strobes on while crossing or taking the runway for departure camp.  Back off when exiting the runway after landing.    Take off clearance- strobes on, landing light on.  Approach clearance received-taxi lights on.   Landing clearance- landing light on.   Never wonder if I received a takeoff or landing clearance.  :)

That's pretty much the way most professional pilots are trained.  I don't know of any who taxi around with strobes on all the time.