Master switch left on...

231MJ

I did a simple on-field relocation last week and left the master switch on for a few hours.  I was in a hurry.  This resulted in the battery being too weak to start.  Embarrassing and a pain in the butt.   Have any of you installed a device to remind you that the master is on?  Buzzer based master being on and no oil pressure?  LED in prominent location when the master is on?  I realize getting field approval might be difficult (impossible) but I'm interested to know if there is a solution - other than religious use of the shut-down check list.  

August

After decades of flying and never leaving the master on (my TC is also loud and my beacon is always on) I did it this summer. I positioned the plane to the wash rack. Wash, wax, wax, wax, vacuum, et al. Then noticed the master was on. Had to jump the plane to get back to parking and of course the battery was never the same. Ended up replacing it. If you've left the master on the battery may not recover.

-Robert

+1 for the beacon flashing...

It is a good warning for leaving the master on...

It is a good warning for bypassers that I might make some noise and wind soon...

I have a similar but different challenge... anything left in the cigarette lighter socket, will run until the battery dies...  

for that... I have a check list...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

After committing the same sin several times with Krazo's flight school aircraft at KMKC in the mid-late 90's and doing the same in my 201 at Arlington TX I always, always, always look at the fuel guages before I climb out of the cockpit. In the same vein I always, always, always tug on the baggage door handle before climbing into the cockpit and say to myself 'baggage door locked' and then during run up say to myself 'yes I remember  checking baggage door'.....thread drift.

I left the master on as a student back in 1977.  I was in high school and was paying $15/hr wet with instructor.  I was making $3/hr, so 5 hours work for one hour flight.  The school charged me $25 for my mistake.

Knock on wood, but I've NEVER left the master on in the intervening 43 years!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

My engine monitor is hooked to the master. I always look at it before I leave the hangar to see if it is lit up. I can tell from 20 feet away.

How's that work when you and your friends are climbing out on a sunny day to try the burgers a few counties from home?

I never turn off the LED belly blinker, it's quite noticeable and stupid bright.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

I never turn off the LED belly blinker, it's quite noticeable and stupid bright.

The flight school I trained at always left the anti-collision light on as procedure to know if the master is left on. I kept that same procedure when I got the Mooney and leave the belly strobe on, can't miss it.

1 hour ago, corn_flake said:

If you really want to stop the possibility of ever leave the master switch on, how about the boat kill switch below.  

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/universal-kill-switch-with-lanyard?gclid=CjwKCAiAv4n9BRA9EiwA30WNDw26BMtyYBxaois3F0iiu4OubkeOWkzkIpfFrHagbC4H_r9BSfDEGRoCaZcQAvD_BwE

Ha. That’s a deadman’s switch. I have one on my boat too. Maybe airplanes should have one.  

Not a fan of leaving the strobes on since it’s not friendly to other pilots on the ground but I do leave the beacon on  

-Robert 

MS is great!  You guys have provided some good ideas.  

In my situation, Coy Jacobs took the rotating beacon off about 20 years ago to gain 0.3 kts of speed and I don't want to put it back on at this point.  The turn coordinator did help remind me about the master switch, especially when the bearings were going bad, but it's gone now with the new glass panel.  Leaving the strobes on is a great idea, I'm gonna try it.

I have a sure fired way of reminding myself that the master is on, kind of expensive though...  Per STC the Garmin 600 is hard wired to the main bus.  It is aways on when the master switch is on.  May be that way with other avionics in other applications as well.^_^

John Breda

11 hours ago, corn_flake said:

If you really want to stop the possibility of ever leave the master switch on, how about the boat kill switch below.  

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/universal-kill-switch-with-lanyard?gclid=CjwKCAiAv4n9BRA9EiwA30WNDw26BMtyYBxaois3F0iiu4OubkeOWkzkIpfFrHagbC4H_r9BSfDEGRoCaZcQAvD_BwE

Not conformal with the TDCS. Your IA will not look kindly upon it.

10 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

I have a sure fired way of reminding myself that the master is on, kind of expensive though...  Per STC the Garmin 600 is hard wired to the main bus.  It is aways on when the master switch is on.  May be that way with other avionics in other applications as well.^_^

John Breda

The pfd is the same. Although I have seen some fbo’s incorrectly install a g5 primary attitude on the avionics buss. 

-Robert

17 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

John Breda

Actually, my JPI 930 is also connected to the main bus so it and the G600 are on when the master is on.

John Breda

• Like 1

I did the same thing about a year ago.  I left the master switch on for the first time after years of flying.  My advice is the same as others, leave strobe on and you will see it as you walk away from the plane or leave it in the hangar.  In my case, I had to replace my battery.