Medical certificate copy

RobertGary1

As I watched the staff at my AMEs print my new medical on the printer I asked if I lost it can they print another one? No still have to go through okc. But if I photo copy the certificate that came off their printer how would the FAA know? Back when it was on special paper it made sense but since it’s just printed anyway why make it so hard to replace?

-Robert 

Because the rules were written way back when, and nothing warms that spot in a bureaucrat where the rest of us have hearts quite like a lengthy, complicated, difficult-to-follow set of rules. Having the rules outdated just makes them laugh!

Seriously, you'd think a reasonable person would update the rules when the form the rules surround is changed . . . . Bureaucrats!!!  :angry: 

Edited by Hank

LOLI was going through my wallet and found my last medical certificate. It expired a year and a half ago and was still intact.

Don't ask me the rationale for requiring an "original" certificate for something only the FAA cares about and can easily look up. But keep in mind there is a difference between them"original" and a scan or photocopy. The wet signature on it.

19 minutes ago, midlifeflyer said:

LOLI was going through my wallet and found my last medical certificate. It expired a year and a half ago and was still intact.

Don't ask me the rationale for requiring an "original" certificate for something only the FAA cares about and can easily look up. But keep in mind there is a difference between them"original" and a scan or photocopy. The wet signature on it.

Ball point pens aren't very "wet." With a modern copier, it's extremely difficult to tell a copy from an original black ink signature. I'm in medical manufacturing, everything is signed, and I routinely sign in blue just so I can tell if it's original or a copy . . ..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hank said:

Ball point pens aren't very "wet." With a modern copier, it's extremely difficult to tell a copy from an original black ink signature. I'm in medical manufacturing, everything is signed, and I routinely sign in blue just so I can tell if it's original or a copy . . ..

Most printers and copiers can do color too :)  If someone REALLY wanted to tell, you could look for the dent in the paper from the writing pressure, or just analyze the ink.

2 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Most printers and copiers can do color too :)  If someone REALLY wanted to tell, you could look for the dent in the paper from the writing pressure, or just analyze the ink.

There ain't none of that when I write. Too many years using good fountain pens! There's no need to carve into the paper . . . . .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hank said:

There ain't none of that when I write. Too many years using good fountain pens! There's no need to carve into the paper . . . . .

Hank, your experience with fountain pens was obviously different from mine. I've had some very expensive fountain pens, but never a "good" one.  Getting rid of fountain pens was like moving from propellers into the jets.

Never look back.  :P

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

Hank, your experience with fountain pens was obviously different from mine. I've had some very expensive fountain pens, but never a "good" one.  Getting rid of fountain pens was like moving from propellers into the jets.

Never look back.  :P

They write SOOOOOOO much nicer!

But a bad fountain pen is a horrible thing.

• Haha 1

Still I can tell you for a fact that photocopied MCs are verboten and several airlines have pilots with violations to prove it. It was in fact at my line the most common FAA violation except for altitude busts for about 6 months. 

As for re-issuance believe it or not as noted above an email, fax or telex message is from OKC is sufficient. It used to be so common I remember the chief pilot's office had a little "window" in which a fax machine set for OKC to send you a temporary during late hours. Now, some airlines air crew records systems have been issued operations specifications that allow the airline to re-issue a lost or stolen MC or PC to a pilot while a permanent replacement is sent.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hank said:

Even then. There are color scanners/copiers.

Basic Med...

a couple of pages long...

Signed, stored in the plane for safe keeping... cause I’m not going to fold it up and put it in my wallet... :)

The company I worked for had a training for signing documents... including no gel pens, erasable pens, pencils, or color pens...

Some inks don’t last a year before they start fading... some inks spread and wick through the fibers of the paper... others get erased or are easily changed...  the blue ink doesn’t copy as well...

Black ink only.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

Basic Med...

a couple of pages long...

Signed, stored in the plane for safe keeping... cause I’m not going to fold it up and put it in my wallet... :)

well, since you are not required to have it with you and it only has to be available in your logbook... 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

well, since you are not required to have it with you and it only has to be available in your logbook... 

So, let's get this straight:

1) If you have a MEDICAL CERTIFICATE, you MUST have it with you, and it MUST be an ORIGINAL, and you MUST show it to a LEO.

2) If you have BASIC MED, you don't have to have ANY proof with you, and get to tell the LEO to stuff it when he asks.

Good thing we don't get ALL the government we pay for:(

If I were a Dr who was also a pilot, I would understand the process. I would  print off 2 copies and sign both of them. I’d tell my patient to keep one one hand and put the other in a safe place in case the first was lost. Both would be original, have the original signature and would satisfy the legal requirement. I’m not a Dr but that sure does make a lot of sense. 

Edited by Matt_AZ

55 minutes ago, Matt_AZ said:

If I were a Dr who was also a pilot, I would understand the process. I would  print off 2 copies and sign both of them. I’d tell my patient to keep one one hand and put the other in a safe place in case the first was lost. Both would be original, have the original signature and would satisfy the legal requirement. I’m not a Dr but that sure does make a lot of sense. 

I asked in the office if I ever lost it can they just reprint it again on their super special HP printer from office max. Nope they said. 

-Robert 

17 hours ago, MikeOH said:

So, let's get this straight:

1) If you have a MEDICAL CERTIFICATE, you MUST have it with you, and it MUST be an ORIGINAL, and you MUST show it to a LEO.

2) If you have BASIC MED, you don't have to have ANY proof with you, and get to tell the LEO to stuff it when he asks.

Good thing we don't get ALL the government we pay for:(

You are assuming a LEO knows what a medical certificate is and would ask for anything other than ID.

• Like 2