2nd CDI

201Steve

I’ve got the bird in for Avionics now. Going to duel G5 and a 650 navigator and 500 auto pilot. my NAVcom two will be a 430. What say you about a second CDI let’s assume a 106. Avionics says Bing that the G5 will take GPS one and the GPS to that icon onlyHave the second CDI show either GPS or VOR. Do I even bother with a second CDI if so what’s the smart move for what drives it? Please excuse the grammar this is voice to text

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

If go with the second cdi. But I’d also upgrade the G5’s to the newer Garmin 275’s. I did that and they’re amazing. 

-Robert 

Robert Gary, the biggest fan of 275’s in the world. I thought about getting a 275 as second CDI. Spent a lot of money, I went cheaper since I only needed one more. If I own the plane long enough it’ll get full glass on the next go. 

• Like 1

The way I make these decisions is to think through all the failure modes and makes sure I have enough backup so that no single failure can leave me unable to complete an instrument flight safely.

BTW, if you go to a Garmin booth at a trade show and see the G5 next to the GI 275 you'll notice that there is no comparison in vividness and sharpness of the displays.

Skip

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PT20J said:

The way I make these decisions is to think through all the failure modes and makes sure I have enough backup so that no single failure can leave me unable to complete an instrument flight safely.

BTW, if you go to a Garmin booth at a trade show and see the G5 next to the GI 275 you'll notice that there is no comparison in vividness and sharpness of the displays.

Skip

Trade shows ? They still have those ?!?

I have 2 G5s and I am thinking about replacing my TC with a GI 275. It will function a MFD most of the time and I can overlay an HSI on it with input from both a VHF NAV and a GPS. It will also be a much better backup for attitude than a TC (not that I need it with 2 G5s). A GI 106 is around 2.5 AMU and the GI 275 is around 3. Can't see any reason in installing an old GI 106

Edited by JimB