IO360 180 vs 200HP

201er

In terms of weight, I believe the IO360 is heavier by ~40lbs. 

In terms of speed E vs C.

1) a good C model is a 145kt bird in cruise. On the deck with everthing forward a good one will likely break 150kts.

2) injected engines will do sightly better at lower MPs (high altitude) getting better fuel distribution.

3) The higher C/R bird will always be more efficient and make more power for a given Alt.

4) Ram air. As many experts have stated, the intake on the A,B,C,E,F,G models was less than ideal. With the Ram air, my engine picks up anywhere >1" to a .25" depending on alt, temp and barometric pressure. This is more significant than people think in the 4K-6K foot range. The carbed birds have no Ram Air.

All of the above being said, the 180-200 M20s are all within about a 20kt range give or take a few kts in speed with some overlaping others.

Airfacts Magazine raced and M20E against a Comanche 250 back the mid 60's and the E model walked away from it while down on the deck.  I've seen Cs that will run with Fs and Es that will run with Js. There's more at hand then just 20hp.

Well if you put all the J mods on the earlier models, you have a lighter/shorter version of the J so it isn't much surprising (namely the cowl and sloped windshield). Actually what I'm kind of surprised about is that an E modified into a J isn't even a little faster as the result of lower drag/weight.

Quote: 201er

Well if you put all the J mods on the earlier models, you have a lighter/shorter version of the J so it isn't much surprising (namely the cowl and sloped windshield). Actually what I'm kind of surprised about is that an E modified into a J isn't even a little faster as the result of lower drag/weight.