Trouble with FAA vision test

RobertGary1

Every year I barely pass the vision test near and far. But my eye dr says there is no reason I should struggle both are good (I gave him the FAA requirements). So today I just couldn’t quite get the distance again so the lady said “let’s try the paper chart” (instead of the machine. ). 
i had no trouble with 20/20 and could have read the line below. 

So why is this machine so tough for me?

The machine could be bad but this dr does FAA medicals every day of the year all the time. 

-Robert 

What kind of Dr?  My AME is a cardiologist and the nurse told me their eye test machine is not calibrated, tested or maintained to the same standards as an optometrist would be.  I have a very similar issue to you, but they are pretty reasonable.

2 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

What kind of Dr?  My AME is a cardiologist and the nurse told me their eye test machine is not calibrated, tested or maintained to the same standards as an optometrist would be.  I have a very similar issue to you, but they are pretty reasonable.

This Dr is pretty much just doing FAA medicals. I think she advertises pain management and weight loss too. 

-Robert 

You might consider having a note from the eye Dr in advance.  That might forego the entire event.  Might want to pre-discuss with your AME.  I’m not an AME but am paranoid about failing my medical.  :-). We have an AME on the forum who can likely provide better advice.

• Like 1

the eye test machine ive used is a pretty obvious joke according to my opthamologist,when i described the grey crinkle paint cabinent.He says ,it probably dates back to the 1943 ,and no body works on them.They use weak filament bulbs directed by various mirrors (coated with 40 years of dust)shining weakly through printed acetate sheets also 40 years old with same amount of dust....

• Like 1

The problem with the machines is if you wear progressive or bifocals you cannot tilt your head sufficient to adjust to the correct lens for the distance because your head is pressed into the head band. I refuse to be tested by the machines and demand the eye charts. 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 1:59 PM, Hank said:

I've never understood why we have to take the color vision test more than once. It's genetic, you're either born with color blindness / deficiency or not. Never heard of anyone "developing" this condition . . . .

I haven't taken a color blindness test since '84 when I got my waiver.

The FAA man giving me the test was color blind too.    It went like this...

He calls the tower on a walkie talkie with me standing right next to him and says "show a green light". 

He then looks at me and asks "What color is that light?" 

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

I've never liked those machines and have always done better with a regular chart on the wall.

These days, I go to my optometrist and get an exam before I meet with the AME and have her write my BCVA numbers in a note on her letterhead and take that to the AME. The AME is fine with that as long as he has a piece of paper to back it up and skips the vision test.

Skip

4 hours ago, Hank said:

I've never understood why we have to take the color vision test more than once. It's genetic, you're either born with color blindness / deficiency or not. Never heard of anyone "developing" this condition . . . .

My neighbor developed red/green color blindness after 26 years in the air force. I didn't know that was a thing either. 

I struggled on my first medical to pass the vision test.  It was a new AME and she made me test near and distant in each eye and then again in both eyes, so a total of six different eye tests with the machine.  I passed all of them except the left eye near test.  She then told me to go to the nearest drug store and buy a pair of reading glasses and come back so we could finish the medical.  I passed with the reading glasses.

Now my AME who has been doing them for a long time, just has me read the chart at the end of the hall and then the small print chart up close, so only two tests.  MUCH easier to pass!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hank said:

Agree.  Pilots who cannot pass the Ishihara color blindness test (the little dots in the small book), the AME can give an alternate test (usually the Farnsworth Lantern test, or FALANT), which helps determine color vision in a manner more realistic to pilot functions (such as recognizing colored lights).

This is a one-time exam; after which a SODA (Statement of Demonstrated Ability) is applied to your FAA medical records.  The SODA remains on your medical, indicates that you've satisfied the color requirements, and exempts you from having to take the Ishihara color test at subsequent medicals...including 1st Class.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I haven't taken a color blindness test sense '84 when I got my waiver.

The FAA man giving me my test was color blind too. It went like this... The FAA man calls the tower on a walkie talkie with me standing right next to him and says "show a green light", he looks at me and asks "What color is that?" 

that is the best one yet!!!

I am the opposite...I pass the machine vision tests without restriction.   I drive with no restriction....when I went for my 3rd class medical I had to read a non illuminated chart in a dimly lit room where my eyes are at their worst...not that I would ever fly or drive with out glasses

On 11/3/2020 at 6:41 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

I haven't taken a color blindness test sense '84 when I got my waiver.

The FAA man giving me my test was color blind too. It went like this... The FAA man calls the tower on a walkie talkie with me standing right next to him and says "show a green light", he looks at me and asks "What color is that?" 

I had pretty much the same scenario.  Thank goodness for the walkie talkie.  Lee

On 11/4/2020 at 10:48 AM, StevenL757 said:

Agree.  Pilots who cannot pass the Ishihara color blindness test (the little dots in the small book), the AME can give an alternate test (usually the Farnsworth Lantern test, or FALANT), which helps determine color vision in a manner more realistic to pilot functions (such as recognizing colored lights).

This is a one-time exam; after which a SODA (Statement of Demonstrated Ability) is applied to your FAA medical records.  The SODA remains on your medical, indicates that you've satisfied the color requirements, and exempts you from having to take the Ishihara color test at subsequent medicals...including 1st Class.

I wanted to fly helicopters in the US Army.  Took my first red green color test and the administrator said do you see numbers?  I said “should I” she said “you tell me”...instead of saying yes.  I failed by saying no.  Passed the test for 20 years until I didn’t.  I am night restricted.  I am absolutely red green deficient, but I CAN see parts of the numbers and passed for years on 3rd class.  I never was offered alternative red/green tests and was too lazy to go two hours to Des Moines to FSDO to have alternative test administered.  Sigh....

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, cliffy said:

After 50+ years IF YOU CAN'T REMEMBER-                     D E F P O T E C

You might have to struggle with it to make it appear real :-)

I thought I was the only one that had that and C E T O P F E D memorized.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Missile=Awesome said:

I wanted to fly helicopters in the US Army.  Took my first red green color test and the administrator said do you see numbers?  I said “should I” she said “you tell me”...instead of saying yes.  I failed by saying no.  Passed the test for 20 years until I didn’t.  I am night restricted.  I am absolutely red green deficient, but I CAN see parts of the numbers and passed for years on 3rd class.  I never was offered alternative red/green tests and was too lazy to go two hours to Des Moines to FSDO to have alternative test administered.  Sigh....

:-(

Appreciate that you shared that.  Do you think pursuing a SODA from your AME is something that you could pursue at this juncture in your flying career, or has that ship sailed?

The machine they use for the standard vision test is a piece of trash. Completely useless test. I have 20/20 vision, yet I struggled to read the letters in that machine that is probably older then I am. Next time ill go to the eye doctor a few weeks before my medical expires and get a vision test done because I dont have the time to argue with someone over it.