C210 crash in Utah

Interesting events prior to accident.  I notice shoulder harnesses were present but not used.  I've followed some of the other events association with the accident.  The two guys up front were bang up pretty good.  The rest of the passengers came out of the plane in much better shape.

• Like 1

Kerry, I was looking at this shaking my head.  No shoulder harness worn, yet they were clearly there. Looks like a stall (likely spin) into the ground.  When the engine loses power I am going 1. Beach, 2. Water parallel to the beach, 3 Sagebrush. Pilot picks number 3.  Speed control and airplane attitude was scary on final.  I don't know the recommendation on the Cessna, but I am not sure gear down would have been a good idea. Likely to flip the plane.  Pilot does not give any direction to the passengers.  He should have said shoulder harnesses, tighten seat belts, grab anything for padding for your face, and heads down. 

I saw that video about a week ago.

One thing I noticed was the rescue people are smiling and a lot people are smiling at the crash sight.  At first I wondered if that was a deliberate attempt to keep the spirits up of the injured.  I think in part.  But I think also that is a bit of joy coming through of the rescue workers that they are dealing with people who are not all that badly injured and will clearly come through fine.  So joy of relief.

37 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I saw that video about a week ago.

One thing I noticed was the rescue people are smiling and a lot people are smiling at the crash sight.  At first I wondered if that was a deliberate attempt to keep the spirits up of the injured.  I think in part.  But I think also that is a bit of joy coming through of the rescue workers that they are dealing with people who are not all that badly injured and will clearly come through fine.  So joy of relief.

As someone who has been one of the first people to arrive at a plane crash site, finding people alive at all is borderline joy. The video leaves me scratching my head, so much wrong. However, I was not there and will reserve comment.

Just now, AerostarDriver said:

As someone who has been one of the first people to arrive at a plane crash site, finding people alive at all is borderline joy. The video leaves me scratching my head, so much wrong. However, I was not there and will reserve comment.

I have arrived at a car crash that looked horrific assuming the worst and I know I was over joyed to find the driver uninjured (but drunk as a skunk).

from this video ,pilots headed for sage brush hill above reservoir ill advised...a simple left  turn gear up landing close to shore (water landing)would have had a better outcome .full seat belt use would have saved pilots facial injuries and of course ,good attitude and airspeed control even landing into the rising terrain would have lessoned impact damage from the stall /spin wing low that occuured.

Glad outcome was ok (ish).  I'm not gonna Monday morning quarterback the choice of landing site without having been there.  That continuously blaring stall horn is striking though, and it's only making him come up shorter than he wants. I do think this could have ended much better if pilot had repressed the urge to stretch the glide and consequently not spun into the ground. I'm not sure I'd do any better, but forcing onself to repress that urge is probably the main takeaway for me. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yetti said:

I heard "Gear down"  "Flaps down" while stall horn is going off.   Dirtied up the plane while trying to extend to the open space.

It's a Cessna. That wounded-duck gear takes forever to move!  :(  But it looked like he stalled pretty high, too. Glad everyone survived. 

• Like 1

If the stall horn is going off...

1) The plane is already going slower than best glide...

2) raising the nose to extend the glide... pretty much works against you, and shortens the glide....

• Raising the nose
  • continues  decreasing the air speed even more...
  • The stall horn is already sounding...
  • The pilot is unable to be aware of how soon the stall will occur...

3) know that landing in the trees under control... is usually going to be better than stalling randomly above them...

4) kinda looks like a partial stall... where one part of the wing has stopped flying... the imbalance causes a roll-off towards one side... vertical speed starts increasing...

5) Proof that it can be better to be lucky than good...

6) Thanks to the lucky pilot, for sharing the video...   so we can openly discuss what not to do...

7) if you are not a foot above the runway... or surface of any kind... when the stall warning occurs... lower the nose... this buys a few more seconds to glance at the ASI... to best figure out the next step...

8) If the stall horn is sounding for seconds... and you don’t know where the ground is... it is only seconds from it coming up to meet you... 

9) This looks a lot like cognitive overload... from way back... falling behind the plane... further and further...

Do we know anything about the pilot?

There is not a whole lot of experience showing...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Bob Hoover-Fly the plane ALL THE WAY DOWN.

Dont give up.

The urge to “pull” must be tremendous when you have five souls relying on you.

Fight the urge with all your being.

That is my continued lesson learned.

PS-Just repaired a non-functional stall horn at annual.  Tried a no flaps light load take-off the other day.  Heard stall horn...

Heard it in the flare too.  I had missed that sound for a while.  

Good to have that “friend” back talking to me.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Make sure you are checking that “the friend” is operative EVERY pre-flight.

• Like 2

An old wise pilot told me something along these lines “It is always better to contact the earth’s surface parallel to it, the more perpendicular you are, the lower your chance of survival.”

Clarence

• 4 weeks later...

Selfie generation meets Aviation.

I am glad everyone survived to tell the tale, but just gotta say, I’d find it pretty damn annoying to have a camera stuck in my face while I’m seriously trying to get down to business and not make mistakes.  Huge distraction, just so this passenger can continue to promote his YouTube channel.   And then to find the video of my mistakes posted on a public site prior to the litigation... no thanks.   If it were just there as a teaching tool that would be one thing, and it’s appreciated— but that’s not the case here.   

To be completely clear— I did find this instructive but wish the pilot would’ve reigned in the selfie sticks prior to flight.   I’m not being critical of his flying, I think at his experience level and proficiency he probably did about as well as he could have.  No judgement.  I would rather have viewed this on an AOPA instructional seminar with his comments and not the schtick of his passengers.

Edited by Aviationinfo
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Aviationinfo said:

Selfie generation meets Aviation.

I am glad everyone survived to tell the tale, but just gotta say, I’d find it pretty damn annoying to have a camera stuck in my face while I’m seriously trying to get down to business and not make mistakes.  Huge distraction, just so this passenger can continue to promote his YouTube channel.   And then to find the video of your mistakes posted on a public site prior to the litigation... no thanks.   If it were just there as a teaching tool that would be one thing, and it’s appreciated— but that’s not the case here.   

To be completely clear— I did find this instructive but wish the pilot would’ve reigned in the selfie sticks prior to flight.   I’m not being critical of his flying, I think at his experience level and proficiency he probably did about as well as he could have.  No judgement.  I would rather have viewed this on an AOPA instructional seminar with his comments and not the schtick of his passengers.

Yeah seriously, I could def Monday morning quarterback the landing (why was he pulling up? It wasn’t as if he was trying to reach a runway) but holding a camera as you’re about to crash?? 

The end of the video, narration, and music has me thinking they were on their way to drink some cool aid to join up with a spaceship...

• Like 1