Virginia Mooney Mechanics

Gatlin Gun

So, just moved to Yorktown, Virgina, and wondering any recommended mechanics in the area?  I'm leaning toward standard Mooney Service Center, but I trust you guys more...  My rockets isn't due for the annual until May, but I wanna get on he mechanics list.  Any recommendations in the greater Virginia area?

Welcome to this corner of the swamp! I have been well pleased with John Sanders. He’s at ECG for another couple of weeks, and in the process of moving his shop just down the road to Edenton, EDE. Should be all set up in this pretty place by Thanksgiving. He is meticulous, honorable, and quiet. Really knows his stuff, and gets work done on schedule as promised. Great about conservative repairs, but doesn’t let stuff slide. Another excellent option is Lynn Mace at AGL Aviation, a Mooney Service Center at MRN. He is also a very good guy, but a longer haul for you.

21 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

Plan to come a bit further north to AirMods in Trenton, NJ (N87) and speak with Dave Mathiesen...very detail-oriented staff and an outstanding MSC.

https://www.airmodsflightcenter.com/modifications-and-repair

It's definitely tucked away in and around the DC area, I appreciate the response but might try these others that are a bit closer.  thank you!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, anthonydesmet said:

EPIX Aviation in Chesapeake.  Jim Parkman took care of my K for 5 years until I moved to Florida.  There is also a J and a couple of Ovations at the field he takes care of.

Tell him Smut sent you.....

Thanks, Smut.  I might just do that exact thing.  Not a Mooney Service Center...but sounds like he's pretty knowledgeable about them huh?

19 hours ago, Amelia said:

Welcome to this corner of the swamp! I have been well pleased with John Sanders. He’s at ECG for another couple of weeks, and in the process of moving his shop just down the road to Edenton, EDE. Should be all set up in this pretty place by Thanksgiving. He is meticulous, honorable, and quiet. Really knows his stuff, and gets work done on schedule as promised. Great about conservative repairs, but doesn’t let stuff slide. Another excellent option is Lynn Mace at AGL Aviation, a Mooney Service Center at MRN. He is also a very good guy, but a longer haul for you.

Thanks, Amelia!  Never had the bird on the east coast before.  Much busier, and I swear, can we not deconflict CTAFs???  :D Everyone has the same freq! 

EDE is definitely closer.  MRN service center sounds pretty good as well, but you're right, it is a hike.

So I'm sure this has been discussed, but I don't see it in any string...  Thoughts: Mooney Service Center...all it's cracked up to be or "just find a good mechanic"?  

My plane came from a non-center, and it needed some specific Mooney love.  Used a great mechanic and nice guy in Minnesota, but unfortunately that's a REALLY long stretch from here (for now).

So thoughts about service centers?

2 hours ago, Gatlin Gun said:

Thanks, Smut.  I might just do that exact thing.  Not a Mooney Service Center...but sounds like he's pretty knowledgeable about them huh?

They do have a lot of Mooney knowledge and I never felt like I was paying for them to “learn” on my airplane.   Now I wouldn’t have them work tank reseal, sb 208, avionics install, etc but experienced airframe/Mooney and continental engine experience - yes.

24 minutes ago, anthonydesmet said:

They do have a lot of Mooney knowledge and I never felt like I was paying for them to “learn” on my airplane.   Now I wouldn’t have them work tank reseal, sb 208, avionics install, etc but experienced airframe/Mooney and continental engine experience - yes.

Ok, thanks smut.  Makes sense.  

Always an interesting adventure finding a new mechanic.  appreciate the insight.  Check 6 and thanks!

• Like 1

Welcome back Gatlin...

Good to plan this far ahead...

When you only post a few lines every few months... :) (solution: post more often!)

There are tons of pros and cons about using MSCs... pages and pages of it around here...

There are good ones...

There are some that are not so good...

There are very experienced Mooney savvy mechanics that get mentioned around here often... they don’t work for MSCs...

In the end, we are depending on the individual working at the MSC to do a good job...

Even a good MSC can have some wreckage fall out of the shop...

If you do go as far as the MSC in NJ... Air Mods...   Keep in touch with the owner Dave Matthiessen... he is a Mooney genius/guru...

I have gone back and forth between using Air Mods and my local shop... my local shop handles more than a handful of Mooneys each year... they have all the proper books... and tools for a standard maintenance shop... the most unique Mooney thing I saw them handle... swapping out the out the huck bolts on the tail  section of a long body... I never walked between a Mooney and it’s tail before... :)

But, for those Mooney specific details like checking landing gear or control surface rigging, or fuel tank leaks... go to the MSC where these Mooney specific details are done most often...

+1 for experience.

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

I opened a shop, RPM Aircraft Service, at Gaithersburg MD in August. Ive been working on Mooneys ten years, and I own a 1977 J model.  I currently have a 1965 E model in, two G5's, EDM830 and some repairs. I also take care of two other 201s and a 231.  Plus a PA30 turbo and a Cheyenne II.  Our planes never break down. Its a small company, but we find and fix stuff.  byron at flyrpm.com.   let me know if I can help.

• Like 2

On 11/3/2020 at 9:52 PM, carusoam said:

Welcome back Gatlin...

Good to plan this far ahead...

When you only post a few lines every few months... :) (solution: post more often!)

Hahahaha!  :D 

Yea, it's good to be back, Carusoam.  Been a hectic summer with military move and daughter getting covid (she's fine now).  But I have been neglecting my mooney family, but I know family forgives. ;) 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 11:53 PM, jetdriven said:

I opened a shop, RPM Aircraft Service, at Gaithersburg MD in August. Ive been working on Mooneys ten years, and I own a 1977 J model.  I currently have a 1965 E model in, two G5's, EDM830 and some repairs. I also take care of two other 201s and a 231.  Plus a PA30 turbo and a Cheyenne II.  Our planes never break down. Its a small company, but we find and fix stuff.  byron at flyrpm.com.   let me know if I can help.

Thanks Jetdriven.  I come from a "small business" household, so if it works out, I like supporting new businesses.