Realistic expectation.

Mika Clark

Excuse me if this is not the right place for this post as I am new here and fairly new to the aviation world. I am a new P.P. and beginning my search for an airplane. I plan on transitioning straight into instrument training. I plan on doing 100+ mile trips quite frequently so of course mooney's make sense. I will be traveling with one passenger and bags and at the very most 2 passengers plus me. I am looking to spend around 45-55k. Is this a realistic number for an ifr equipped mooney? Basic Ifr is fine for now and I can upgrade as I go. Please let me know if there is another place on the forum where this is more appropriate! Thanks guys look forward to hopefully joining the family!

Welcome aboard Mika...

This spot is as good as any...

Stand by for the flood of info and questions...

The usual questions you have covered already...

Start searching immediately... sometimes it takes a while to be ready, and find the right plane...

Best regards,

-a-

Welcome Mika.  As another green pilot (maybe still sprouting would be a good way to describe me) I would say a 100-200 mile trip would be handled by about any plane that isn’t 65hp.  Your block times between a 110mph and a 145mph plane will be minuscule in those trips.  In my experience, you will be looking at a basic IFR plane in that budget, noting there will likely be room needed in the budget for upgrades and maintenance as well.  You can probably find a nice M20C for that (better do your arm curls to work the Johnson bar though).  @carusoam already welcomed you.  He’s got a great method of starting in Mooney’s. First you find a C to bomb around and get proficient (with a Mooney specific MAPA instructor). Then you move into an early Ovation, preferably with the 310hp STCs, then on to the Acclaim for a real time machine.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nick Pilotte said:

Welcome Mika.  As another green pilot (maybe still sprouting would be a good way to describe me) I would say a 100-200 mile trip would be handled by about any plane that isn’t 65hp.  Your block times between a 110mph and a 145mph plane will be minuscule in those trips.  In my experience, you will be looking at a basic IFR plane in that budget, noting there will likely be room needed in the budget for upgrades and maintenance as well.  You can probably find a nice M20C for that (better do your arm curls to work the Johnson bar though).  @carusoam already welcomed you.  He’s got a great method of starting in Mooney’s. First you find a C to bomb around and get proficient (with a Mooney specific MAPA instructor). Then you move into an early Ovation, preferably with the 310hp STCs, then on to the Acclaim for a real time machine.  

That is the plan right now! Thats why I am going to stay strict to my budget. The plane is no good if I can not afford to maintain and actually fly it! I prefer to have manual flaps and gear for the maintenance and simplicity reasons. 

Just now, Mika Clark said:

I am actually in N GA/Chattanooga area! Thanks though.

Welcome, Mika. I had my first lessons in Dalton. Cole Aviation there is a great Mooney Service Center, and may know of some good planes for sale. The M20-C is incredibly versatile; mine cruises at 170 mph true. But a 100-mile trip is just enough time to climb to 5500/6500, cool off then descend back into the heat and humidity to land--you'll need to take a real trip once or twice a year, maybe visit Tampa for the Mooney Summit next fall (it was cancelled due to COVID this year).

1 minute ago, Hank said:

Welcome, Mika. I had my first lessons in Dalton. Cole Aviation there is a great Mooney Service Center, and may know of some good planes for sale. The M20-C is incredibly versatile; mine cruises at 170 mph true. But a 100-mile trip is just enough time to climb to 5500/6500, cool off then descend back into the heat and humidity to land--you'll need to take a real trip once or twice a year, maybe visit Tampa for the Mooney Summit next fall (it was cancelled due to COVID this year).

I am flying out of lafayette 9A5! That is great to know that there is service center that close. I will give them a call tomorrow. I would like to take those trips often, and plan some big trips once or twice a year! Best friends are in florida and texas so plan on making that trip as well! 

@Mika Clarkim surprised someone hasn’t mentioned this but get the most well equipped, nicest example of whatever aircraft you can find within your budget and be prepared. You’re better off stretching the budget a little to get a bird that already has ifr gps and autopilot that may be 8-10k more as opposed to one with similar times and airframe condition without those items. 

Good luck with your search! A C model sounds like it’d fit what you’re needing

2 minutes ago, Paul_Havelka said:

@Mika Clarkim surprised someone hasn’t mentioned this but get the most well equipped, nicest example of whatever aircraft you can find within your budget and be prepared. You’re better off stretching the budget a little to get a bird that already has ifr gps and autopilot that may be 8-10k more as opposed to one with similar times and airframe condition without those items. 

Good luck with your search! A C model sounds like it’d fit what you’re needing

Thanks a lot for the advice! Looking for as much of it as I can get!

16 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

I’m always impressed with this C model information! Wish little D/C met that cruise number. :(

Put an awesome Hartzell 3-blade on the front! Up high, I run WOT- / 2500, 50°ROP. At 9500 msl, I'm generally ~145mphi. What do you show there?

Math:  9500 => 9-1/2 × 2% × 145 mph = 1.19 × 145 = 172.55 mph . . . .

• Like 1

Things that can help with the decisions...

1) There are no Bad Mooney models... or bad years to avoid...

2) There were so many developments through the years... the newer ones may have some things that are more preferred...

3) If you have an older one... the mods on the newer ones can often be incorporated on the older ones very easily...

4) M20Cs are incredibly fast... when compared to Brand Ce and P, and any other 180hp factory built airplane...

5) Maintenance... not as easy as C172... but not terrible either... you will easily make up the time in air speed...

6) if you like working on machines... owner assisted annuals are the way to go... you can learn a lot about yourself and your machine in a couple of days...

7) my kids went from newborns to high schoolers, in the back of an M20C... and front too... they make excellent APs... :)

8) It helps if you have aviation experience... I came with none... no family flyers either... M20C ownership requires no special experience... you acquire it pretty quickly...

9) Transition Training is always a good idea when transitioning into flying a plane that is new2U... a couple of days of drinking from the fire hose... is much better than learning by yourself...

10) Don’t buy the cheapest model thinking you will upgrade it slowly.... doing this takes experience... and everything will need an upgrade...

11) There are no barn finds... anything that has been sitting for years has too many unknown unknowns related to sitting... not just Mooneys... all machines...

12) Find a nice Mooney with adequate paint and interior and avionics... and a mid time engine...

13) WAAS GPS is the have everything mode of navigation... everything else is old and getting older... some WAAS boxes also have VOR and ILS... that covers all the bases...

14) ADSB out... is a mandatory device... make sure yours has it... it is a recent ruling that may have some late comers that haven’t got that yet...

15) Pre-Purchase Inspection... how to know your new2U plane isn’t a heap, before you buy it...

16) Insurance... any questions... I know a guy.... find Parker, he is around here somewhere... and awesome to work with...

17) The objective of buying the Mooney the right way... getting through the first annual a year from now... without any surprises...

My M20C lasted a decade before we outgrew it...

It makes a perfect forever-plane for a family of two...

It is an awesome four seater for shorter distances... and svelte people...

The UL for an M20C is flat out awesome and getting better... when updating the panel with digital things...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Put an awesome Hartzell 3-blade on the front! Up high, I run WOT- / 2500, 50°ROP. At 9500 msl, I'm generally ~145mphi. What do you show there?

Math:  9500 => 9-1/2 × 2% × 145 mph = 1.19 × 145 = 172.55 mph . . . .

Thank you for this.

I haven’t been at 9500 feet in this Mooney since I brought it back from Cleveland over 3 years ago.  No 3 blade either.

Next time I get to that elevation, I’ll pay better attention to all.

Thanks again. 

7 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

Thank you for this.

I haven’t been at 9500 feet in this Mooney since I brought it back from Cleveland over 3 years ago.  No 3 blade either.

Next time I get to that elevation, I’ll pay better attention to all.

Thanks again. 

I was joking about the 3-blade, everyone tells me how much speed I lose because of it. But I generally travel at 7500 and up, as long as it's a couple of hours or more. When I go to Spruce, it's usually 5500 out and 6500 back, less than an hour each way. Flightseeing is often 3000 msl or less.

17 hours ago, Mika Clark said:I am actually in N GA/Chattanooga area! Thanks though.

When you zero in on a plane to purchase Cole aviation in Dalton is a great Mooney shop for the pre buy and your maintenance. Also a great bunch of guys. They are a MSC(Mooney service Center).

• Like 2