GFC500 Cost?

9 minutes ago, Dream to fly said:

Ok I already have to G5s and a GAD 29.    Thanks

I guess you just need a cost breakout.  Some installers do funny things by packing more profit into equipment and less labor/vice versa.  Higher equipment and normal labor = find a different installer.

9 hours ago, Davidv said:

That seems very cheap, how much labor?

I’m not sure what the break out is. 

Being installed is a G3X, GFC500 and the G5. Also having a GSB15 and a Flex Alert installed. Labor is quoted at $10k. Total job was quoted at $31k, all in. I was at the shop yesterday and I waiting for a bonanza to be done so I can get in. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nick Pilotte said:

Google Lafayette Avionics GFC500.  They have installed pricing published.  I “think” it was about $12k for a Mooney, but not positive.  They have add ons for other things like yaw dampers or G5’s if you need them too. 

Yeah, theirs is plus plus plus.  I’m not saying it’s a good or bad deal, but there are a lot of factors to consider when choosing the installer.  Based on what I’ve seen, their quote isn’t much different from a lot of other competitive shops.

12 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

What model of aircraft are you having this installed in?  Does your plane already have electric trim?

PA32. Yes it does have elect trim already. Next time I see my hangar mate, I’ll ask him about his. He did the G500nxi upgrade and a GFC500 in his Mooney not too long ago. 

There are several parts to an GFC500 install:

1) 1 or 2 G5's plus a GAD29B to interface to Nav systems.  Associated panel work and mounting GMU11 magnetometer in the wing.  Mounting the GAD 29B.  OR

2) 1 or two GI275's.  This is a better more expensive instrument.  But it is easier to install (round hole and no remote GAD29B box to interface)

3) GFC500 controller in radio stack.  Can be easy if you have space, can be difficult.

4) Suitable nav radio

5) 2, 3, or 4 servo.  The wing servo is more difficult in a Mooney, the others pretty much standard.  A good maintenance shop with structures experience took 65 hours for their first one.  Quoted customer 30 hours, billed customer 42 hours because that's what they figure it will take to do the next one.  So parts can be 50,75,100% of this.  But it takes a certain amount of labour to install the first two servos and it gets more efficient to do 3 and 4..

Personally I would do GI275's.  Its a better instrument, easier to install, new technology vs, 5 year old. etc.  But if you have G5's already, nothing wrong with them.

Aerodon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2020 at 6:42 AM, Dream to fly said:

Does anyone know what the cost of the tree axis system will cost for an F?  I see the website says starting at 6995 but I was just quoted 12.7 just for the parts.  Kind of scratching my head.  

When are you looking to get this done?  I need be, shoot us an email and we can build up an estimate for you so you can compare.  Not necessarily looking to steal ANYONE'S business, but it will give you an idea of what other shops can do it for and compare numbers and such.  Just a thought.  Don't get me wrong, we would love to take care of you, but once you find a shop that you like and get good service from, keep them and it is always better to have a shop that routinely works on your aircraft as they will know the systems, as installed, better than another.  I hope this makes sense. 

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

This is what im thinking of doing.

Tailbeaconx combo with an av30c to control the tailbeaconx, and it will be a primary EFIS    

Another av30c as a primary DG   

Trutrak auto pilot  (bendixking-honeywell) and it will be controlled by my new DG

Wifi link that connects my ipad and sentry to the DG and puts a traffic overlay on it, and maybe weather 

All in for $11,000 roughly  plus labor   Unless the autopilot is more than $5000. thats what it is for all the aircraft now. 

That is a good deal.   The av30c does a lot for $1900.00  the tailbeaconx gets rid of my old narco150d transponder

and the av30c s  get rid of my vac pump.