Houston to College Station area

Flynag86

Howdy all,  I 'm looking to buy an airplane and have it narrowed down to two types, the Mooney and Super Viking.  I've been around Mooneys but not really in them or close inspections of them.  I was hoping someone in the area would let me come check out their airplane and perhaps take me up for a flight.  More than willing to pay for time/gas.  

Thank you

Mike

Under normal circumstances you wouldn't have a problem finding a ride in a Mooney in the Houston area, or anywhere in Texas for that matter. But I know a lot of pilots are social distancing and aren't up to expand their bubble at the moment. But there's probably someone who would take you up for a ride. I'm sure there will be a few along shortly who are in the Houston area. I can put you in touch with some people in the Austin area as well.

But one thing you might do is take a drive out 71 or fly... to Smithville and stop into Southwest Texas Aviation. They're the only thing on the airfield, so easy to find and as one of the top Mooney shops in the country, they will have a hangar full of Mooneys in various stages of repair. But it's a good place, close to you, where you can see a lot of different Mooneys up close and ask questions of a true Mooney expert. It's also good to know a good shop if you do end up with a Mooney.

Send me a PM and I'm happy to put you in touch with a few people.

My flying buddy used to have access to a Super Viking. We flew around together quite a lot. The performance was about the same as the my M20F. The Viking climbed a bit better, the Mooney cruised a bit faster. On a 100 mile flight we would be neck and neck. The Mooney would usually land first.  The Mooney would burn 9-10 GPH the Viking 13-14 GPH. I thought the Mooney was a lot more comfortable to ride in.

• Like 1

I thought the Viking was an interesting performance plane for being made out of natural composite materials....

Then I realized that wood and fabric weren’t the best for my airplane life...

I also thought Mooney was a small specialty company when they only built tens of thousands of planes...

Bellanca was Tiny in comparison... a couple of thousand?

look up the wiki page...

Fabric, steel tubes, and wood....  “The aircraft fuselage is constructed from tubular steel overlaid with fabric while the wings are fashioned from spruce with a plywood skin.“

Huge engine, plenty of fuel flow....

So... if you have an endless supply of fuel money, and maintenance money, and indoor storage money... and like to go slower than a Mooney... the Viking makes a great comparison...

In case I am off-base... compare what is said on VikingSpace... 

What Does Bellanca have for support?

If for some reason... you like nature’s fist composite materials... find a nice M20A... all the efficiency of a Mooney with really smooth aerodynamic wooden wings... a few were built in the two years around 1958 and 9...

I ended up buying an outdoor Mooney M20C... it lived outdoors for decades... :)

If you like speed, efficiency, and safety on an airframe built to last...

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Vikings are fun, but they glide like a beveled manhole cover. Easy to mis manage fuel and unless you hangar it 100% there are a lot of material deterioration problems. It is an airplane you have to want and want to maintain.  They also burn like a Roman candle in a crash.  Otherwise, go aluminum.

2 hours ago, Flynag86 said:

Howdy all,  I 'm looking to buy an airplane and have it narrowed down to two types, the Mooney and Super Viking.  I've been around Mooneys but not really in them or close inspections of them.  I was hoping someone in the area would let me come check out their airplane and perhaps take me up for a flight.  More than willing to pay for time/gas.  

Thank you

Mike

Mike,

I'm based at Hooks and have an Ovation.  I'd be glad to show you around and take you up for a flight, but I doubt you'd be looking at an Ovation for your 1st Mooney (then again, maybe so).  I know several other owners on the field and can get you set up to look at those too.  I've owned 4 Mooneys and ferry them on the side when I'm not flying my airline gig.

Mike,

If you can take up Greg’s offer... Jump on it!   :)

If you are a C buyer... the O is based on the M2OC... not much different than the A and B before it...

All are four seaters, and naturally aspirated...

Easy to fly... go long distances...

The O, is just more Mooney... for a few more AMUs... bigger, faster, roomier, powerfuller, climbier... :)

Not recommending a Long Body as a first time plane for ownership...

But the two planes are closely related...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Go Greg!

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-

If you are interested in taking a look at M20J, happy to show it to you at 9X1. I’m still building enough hours before I can take passengers (insurance requirement) but I should have enough hours in December. Let me know if you are interested, also can share my experience of transition into flying mooney. 

16 hours ago, dominikos said:

If you are interested in taking a look at M20J, happy to show it to you at 9X1. I’m still building enough hours before I can take passengers (insurance requirement) but I should have enough hours in December. Let me know if you are interested, also can share my experience of transition into flying mooney. 

19 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Under normal circumstances you wouldn't have a problem finding a ride in a Mooney in the Houston area, or anywhere in Texas for that matter. But I know a lot of pilots are social distancing and aren't up to expand their bubble at the moment. But there's probably someone who would take you up for a ride. I'm sure there will be a few along shortly who are in the Houston area. I can put you in touch with some people in the Austin area as well.

But one thing you might do is take a drive out 71 or fly... to Smithville and stop into Southwest Texas Aviation. They're the only thing on the airfield, so easy to find and as one of the top Mooney shops in the country, they will have a hangar full of Mooneys in various stages of repair. But it's a good place, close to you, where you can see a lot of different Mooneys up close and ask questions of a true Mooney expert. It's also good to know a good shop if you do end up with a Mooney.

Send me a PM and I'm happy to put you in touch with a few people.

Oops, meant to include this in my reply.  I am looking more toward the J family