JPI EDM-900 C model installation thread

On 11/4/2020 at 3:56 AM, tmo said:

I believe this to be true for any plane; isn't this the reason that with alt static the altimeter reads a couple dozen feet off?

Yes... plus... 

The Mooney cabin is always under vacuum...

Not sure about other planes because it is possible to get a ram air / pressurization affect as well...

There are a couple of things that can cause a variation of the overall cabin pressure... like airspeed and allowing air into cabin...

For seeing how strong the vacuum actually is... when closing the pilot’s window, use care to not allow it to slam shut.

The placard next to the window mentions a particular speed... best if used below 150mph (?)

If used above Vne... a parachute may be required....   :)

I haven’t heard of any broken side windows... yet.

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2020 at 11:52 PM, carusoam said:

Has anyone broke the glass of the VSI?

I think we all got trained the same way...

In the event of static line blockage... break the VSI glass...  and know that the Mooney cabin is under a slight vacuum...

Around MS... we get about one question each year describing possibly getting water in the static system...

But nobody asks... hey I had to smash the VSI lens, where do I get it replaced?

201er has a great video of water in the static line from a rain storm... what the affect on the instruments looked like...

The modern world has gone to alternate static sources... so don’t go bashing the rental’s G500txi screen... :)

Hmmmm... that brings up an interesting question... @PilotFun101 did you install an alternate static source when updating your ship to the Dynon screens...?

Best regards,

-a-

Yes sir 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GWRatcliff said:

I think if the window slams shut it means the cabin is under pressure, if the cabin were under vacuum, you would have to push the window closed.

Greg

Interesting point, Greg...  :)

The vacuum is being pulled by the air rushing by the cabin...

Something must have gotten lost in all the typing....

So... the cabin is under a bit of vacuum... (at least I think it is...). Causing challenges when the Alt static system is used...

But, the exterior is under a greater vacuum as the wind is blowing past the curved shapes of the fuselage...

Thus... sucking the little window closed with some pretty good strength...

How is that?

Fuzzy PP memories only, not a bernoulian physicist ...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...

The E5 does not require a backup per the STC. I have no idea why, but it doesn't. If i upgraded to the Max, I would have to install a backup. My SL30 feeds the Garmin indicator, the IFD feeds the Aspen E5  GPS or VHF nav data. I like it. My plan was to add an AV20 as a non-certified 'backup', since its not required anyways. 

Edited by Lionudakis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/1/2020 at 8:08 PM, carusoam said:

BrianE,

Is there no analog left on the panel?

May need a push button start switch...

:D

Best regards,

-a-

@carusoam -a- I just saw your question from some time ago :( I have no analog left and yes I'd very much entertain an Electroair 13000 switch.  Time may yield such a change.  Need a GFC-500 first!

• Haha 2